STILL no oil pressure!!! please help me out!

Ok, well i just swapped out my stock pump for a melling hi volume pump. and my auto meter gauge still reads ZERO! im 90% sure the pickup is fine and not clogged, so what else can cause me zero oil pressure?? when i kill the motor the needle drops to the bottom of its sweep, when the car is running it reads 0, so i guess its getting a reading.

please help me out with ideas!

• Sponsors (?)

If when you start it do you hear lifter noise? take the gauge off and put the line in a deep cup with a lid and use a pump priming tool and see if shoots out.

yea new oil and new filter too. it made no noise before i swapped the oil pump, just the rockers were slighty noisy (cobra rockers). i couldnt really tell if they were makin noise again as it only ran for a few seconds (6-630 PM open long tubes...).

Or pull a VC and prime it and look for oil at the top end. Do the same with it idling if you have pressure.

First (Like I think i suggested before), as others said, use a real gauge.

The gauge's movement might not be pressure but the simple application of the gauge energizing with 12 volts.

I like Mechanical oil press gauges. I dont have stock gauges in my 91gt but even if I did I would run a mechanical oil press gauge.

fox racer said:
so i should get a mechanical gauge? how about if i rigged up a small line to there the sending uni is and see if oil comes out?

You can rig it up to test it. I would Definitly buy a mechanical guage even if its a sun pro from autozone. It would suck to find out you went thru all that trouble of changing pumps over a gauge failure.

i would use mechanical guages to, thats all i use. And i wouldn't have put a high volum pump in there anyways. A stock pump is good up to about 500-600hp. Should have gotten an ARP oil pump drive shaft and stock pump. Try a different sending unit, you may be 90% sure, but i would definatly try that before i tried replacing the pump.

I thought my autometer electric gauge came w/ a new sending unit.

If you're running a new sending unit and new wiring to the autometer gauge - and it's wired properly - I really doubt it's a gauge issue. Mechanical is probably the most accurate, but my electrical is fine. I chose a mechanical water temp just so I could see the temp any time, but don't want to see the oil pressure when the car is off.

I would consider pulling a valve cover and seeing if there's oil on top; however, if you start the car w/ the valve cover off, you will have a mess if the pump is working - been there, done that.