stock ECU limitations

BeaverMeat

Sep 4, 2020
Nanaimo
Most likely having my engine rebuilt... depends if the block is still good.

While its under the knife I'm wanting to do some upgrades. How far can I go until the ECU needs to be upgraded?

Im wanting to go with a new cam for sure. Possibly heads and intake. As for heads. I still have the stock heads with headers... what heads will still work with the headers? I know there may be a difference in spark plug placement. I don't think Explorer GT40 type heads are the way to go.. interested in going with the GT40X type.

• Sponsors (?)

The factory ECU with the addition of a Moates Quarterhorse can do some amazing things for over 30 year old technology.
Any head but GT40p should work with your headers. For a mild street build, I would recommend a quality head like the Trick Flow 170s or AFR 165s.

I usually cap the fox ecu's off at around 1,200rwhp. Anymore and things happen too fast. At that point swap to an 03/04 ecu with EDIS ignition and your good to 2,150rwhp no problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Most likely having my engine rebuilt... depends if the block is still good.

While its under the knife I'm wanting to do some upgrades. How far can I go until the ECU needs to be upgraded?

Im wanting to go with a new cam for sure. Possibly heads and intake. As for heads. I still have the stock heads with headers... what heads will still work with the headers? I know there may be a difference in spark plug placement. I don't think Explorer GT40 type heads are the way to go.. interested in going with the GT40X type.

We did the 58cc GT40X heads with a Tmoss ported Cobra intake on a 306 engine. The engine was 0-decked to get it to 9.7:1 compression ratio. I can find the cam grind for you if you want. The engine runs terrific, and made 302rwhp.

Kurt

Not wanting to go hardcore. Not looking for strip times or anything. Just wanting some more “snap”.

It seems the bottom end is “OK”. The oil pump failed. So... while the engine is pulled I might as well do the bottom end, rings and the cam. Going basic with a B cam as my car is a 5-speed and I prefer mid to high range power... or if I can find somthing similar to the B but cheaper.

I’ll leave the heads, rockers, and intake for later because getting the engine in and out has become the big money burner. Will have to live with a B cam and OE rockers for a bit. Atleast I can do heads while the engine is in the car.

the 5.0 is in a Volvo 240... the mechanic is a bit over the usual 10 hour mark.

Last edited:
Skip the cam until you can afford to do heads and intake. A cam on an otherwise stock engine is of no value. The 306 we put in the Cobra idles smooth. It's a great street car engine.

Kurt

• Agree