Stock Gear Ratio 1987-1993 GT

• Sponsors (?)

2.73 standard
3.08 optional with manual trans
3.27 optional with auto trans

Most people will say 4.10's with little mods. However my friend has 3.73's and they seem like they would top out too fast. That and it revs alot on the highway.

Well, to get the ball rolling for ya... I know there's 2.73 and 3.08 that came in the 5spds. I also believe that there were different ratios available for autos, higher, but not sure exactly what?? I personally had 2.73 in my '88 and as for top speed... well, lets just say MY 2nd gear went to 85mph so I never even topped out 4th!! I loved it, but love my 4.10 even more. LOL Hope this helps...

people often forget about 3.55's, which are a nice compromise....
welcome to the boards!

Reactions: 1 user
I thought 2.73 and 3.08 were the stock options for the 5 speeds. Thanks for the confirmation guys. Wanted to make sure. I need new gears. Just purchased my 1988 GT 5 speed from my brother. He destroyed the rear end and gears. A friend of mine has a set of 3.08's that he is going to give me. I like top speed, so I guess 3.08's are a good compromise between acceleration and top speed. My brother had 3.73's in this car. Could go through the gears in a flash. He said he is usually shifting to 5th when his buddies with 2.73's are in late 3rd!

where's the best place to look on the aod for a clue as to what year it is..........i have a 91 gt but the guy put a t bird aod in it and i'm not sure what year it came from.....i'm installing 373's soon and thought the 23 tooth was the gear but if it's not a 91 tranny i may need a different one....

I recently got a 88 GT from my old boss. she said it has 373 rear end gears. someone said it tops out quickly. any other info for that kind of gear? that geared more towards straight line speed/accel I assume?

"Someone" doesn't know what it is that they are talking about. That car would need to be [heavily] modified in order to 'top out' a T5 transmission in 5th gear with 3:73s. You'll break it before you'll run it out.

Now, just about any steeper gear change will make 1st gear nearly useless :shrug:

Last edited: