Stock Speaker replacement

Rockin302

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2002
California
There hasn't been to much help in the sound and shine forum so I'm posting this here.

I have a 1990 coupe and I wanted to swap out my old speakers and get a set of aftermarket replacements. I'm not really into heavy bass, just wanted a nice set of replacement speakers. I've pulled off the door panels and the wiring there seems straight forward (unplug the two small wires and hook them straight up to the new speakers).

The question I have are the rears. I checked out the sticked topic regarding speaker size so I guess I'm running either 5x7's or 6x8's ( can anyone confirm what size I have?) I noticed the wiring is somewhat different so I'm wondering if I have to make modifications to the existing wiring to hook it up to the new speakers (like splicing the old wiring and soldering it to the new speakers) Any help is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

The rear speakers were different from the door speakers. The rears had this coupler instead of 2 wires. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 128
i am not familiar with those stock speakers, but it looks just like it is a housing to plug a harness into. Is something supposed to plug in there? what does it look like? i'm guessing just cut the pigtail and put on some spade connectors, then attach to your new speakers.

not hard at all. your front speakers prob have spade terminals on them already maybe. anyways, you don't "need" the crimping tool, but it will make a better, more secure connection. you can also just use pliers to crimp the terminal. if the pics load, then this is what the terminals look like that i'm talking about. most likely you will need the ones in the first pic. whenever you choose your speakers, look at what kind of connection it needs. some or most speakers, if bought new will come with its own little thing of wire with the terminals on already.

42725i0.jpg

42727i0.jpg

For the rear speakers, both the 6x8 or 5x7 will fit. The mounting holes are at the same dia. Just make sure of the depth of the speaker. You don't want the magnet too big, and the speaker sticking out. Using the right size you can use the factory covers.
I ran new wires under the door jam to the new speakers, instead of using the factory wire/plugs.

For what it's worth you can also buy adapters at autozone that plug on to the facotry plug for the rear speakers and have two wires with clips on the other end so you don't have to clip your factory plug off. Those adapters can be handy if you don't have a schematic infront of you, that way you know you get the positives and negatives correct and not out of phase.

yes..get the connectors that The Shape is talking about...most people do cut the plug off though..
in my 90, a buddy gave me his stock speakers out of his 98 F150, which were way better than my rotting stockers, and they plugged right in!

If you buy the speakers from Crutchfield, it will come with a wiring harness that the guys above me are speaking about. It does make it easier....just as long as the original harness is still there (mine were cut out by a previous owner)....which yours looks to still be there. I would recommend checking out crutchfield b/c of the ease and the amount of info.