Strange Clunking Noise from Right-Rear of Car

KStrike155

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Danbury, Connecticut
The problem:

Whenever I go around a turn to the left (meaning load is on the right side of my car on the suspension) and I hit a bump, I can hear a clunking noise. Sounds almost like my shock a not tightly bolted in and it is moving up and down. I just replace my shocks because I lowered the car, so I don't THINK this could be the problem (made sure that those nuts were good and tight).

Anybody have any suggestions as to what has happened? Remember, it only happens when I turn to the left.

Thanks guys!
:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know. it gets frustrating as hell though cuz verts already have so many creeks and squeeks to begin with. I bet it's a simular problem where having though. My noise is coming from the same place as yours

Could be one of two things. The first I can think of is the pinion snubber. Did you install a smaller one when you lowered your car?? Turning left might give it just the right (or wrong in this case) geometry.

The second thing I can thing of is the bushings in the lower/upper control arms. I had maximum motorsports lower control arms installed (bought a used set) and one day after launching real hard I complete shattered one of the Poly bushings. From then on when I made a hard turn or launched hard I would hear a clunk. Had to replace the bushings.

Good luck;
Mike

The suspension on my car is all stock. And I also here that slight clucking sound when turning left at a SLOW speed like 3 mph's not even.
I guess its normal......Overall I think ford should have taken more time while developing the 99-current mustangs..... :flag:

mrvax said:
It is possible that the aftermarket exhaust is hitting something under those conditions. Get it on a lift and look for where it could hit.

Before i did ANYTHING to the car it made that sound.....I bought the car brand new....so im guessing that noise is nothing to be worried about, as you can barely hear it,,,,,but its still there... :rolleyes: