Strange fuel pump issues

After putting our 2 barrel 289 66 coupe back together, I have replaced the mechanical fuel pump five times now. After running the car a few hours or maybe after it sits in the garage for about 2 months, the fuel pump leaks fuel out of the vent hole in the top of the pump. I only put ethanol free premium fuel in the car. All five pumps did the same thing, only some of the pumps made a tapping noise and some did not because the amount of play in the mechanical arm inside the pump. The motor is a used rebuild engine from another 66, so I would not know if there is something wrong with the eccentric on the cam shaft. I have noticed that some Mustangs have a fuel pump that looks like it can be rebuilt. The one I have been using is the aluminum crimped (Throw away). The motor runs great, though it does need valve seals. I want to keep the mechanical pump, so I hope someone has an idea about the problem that they would like to share. Also, soon I plan to change those valve seals with good ones that can be changed in the car. Which seals would I get the best service from?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing Airtex pumps from the parts store? (Airtex fuel pumps are notoriously unreliable, which is why they're my first guess.) I've had issues with nearly every Airtex pump I've installed (both professionally and on my own vehicles).

See if you can find a GNB or Spectra pump if that's the case (if you're wanting to stay original-style). Summit Racing carries them.