Strange humming/whistling sound at 3000 RPMS

JHawker09

Apr 12, 2009
I have a 2001 V6 and I hear a weird humming/whistling sound whenever I hit 3000 RPMs. If I hold it steady at 3000 RPM it is a constant sound. It does make the sound but very faintly when i am cruising around 2200 RPMs. I think it is coming from somewhere on the passenger side near the firewall. Ive checked for anything that could be vibrating against something to cause the sound and I've not figured it out yet.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Could this be something with an exhaust leak?

Let me know if there is anything else I should look at.

Thanks a million

Aaron

• Sponsors (?)

hum

I have a 2001 V6 and I hear a weird humming/whistling sound whenever I hit 3000 RPMs. If I hold it steady at 3000 RPM it is a constant sound. It does make the sound but very faintly when i am cruising around 2200 RPMs. I think it is coming from somewhere on the passenger side near the firewall. Ive checked for anything that could be vibrating against something to cause the sound and I've not figured it out yet.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Could this be something with an exhaust leak?

Let me know if there is anything else I should look at.

Thanks a million

Aaron

thats easy,,its singing to you....should have bought a v8.....lol

give more on when its humming..if you go to a lower gear and at 3000...,,,or say when not moving and rev up to 3grand..

or the plastic cover between hood and windshield...tap on that...mine used to creek when cold out..now its cracked and no noise?

thats easy,,its singing to you....should have bought a v8.....lol

give more on when its humming..if you go to a lower gear and at 3000...,,,or say when not moving and rev up to 3grand..

or the plastic cover between hood and windshield...tap on that...mine used to creek when cold out..now its cracked and no noise?

Har har. :) If only I could afford the insurance. :p

Doesn't matter if it is in gear, or what gear i am in. It does not happen until i pass or stay steady at 3000 RPMs. It only happens reving up, it does not make the sound when as its coming down from passing 3000 RPMs.

It is not the hood because it makes the sound with the hood open.

The car engine must be warm, if i just start the engine after its been sitting over night it does not make the sound.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks,
Aaron

humming

Har har. :) If only I could afford the insurance. :p

Doesn't matter if it is in gear, or what gear i am in. It does not happen until i pass or stay steady at 3000 RPMs. It only happens reving up, it does not make the sound when as its coming down from passing 3000 RPMs.

It is not the hood because it makes the sound with the hood open.

The car engine must be warm, if i just start the engine after its been sitting over night it does not make the sound.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks,
Aaron

not the hood,,the plastic piece the wipers come thru

hot/cold is a good start,,and that you can get it to happen when still,,,rules out speed related

now its down to anything that spins,,,,
here is what i would try,,,wait till car is cold...pull fan belts,,that spin all pullies ,alt,powersteering,,ect...listen for a rumble,,or anything that feels funny...take notes

re-install belts..run untill hot,,,than remove belts and check again...

dumb stuff to check? pcv valve...heat shields on exhaust or by exhaust ...inside of cats/muffler loose

secondary air system if you have that.....a vacuum hose can whistle but not sure with the humming

good luck