Strange Liquid Sound Behind Dash

92blustang

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
For the past week I start my car up and I hear a sound from just behind the middle of the dash that sounds like if you were to blow air thru a straw into a cup of thin oil. Its an odd liquid burbling sound and it seemed like today it actually increased in sound when I would rev up the engine a bit. Its sounds like its coming from my heater/ac vents right above the temp controls in the middle of the dash. What the heck could this be? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yikes, really? It sounds so similar to liquid bubbling. I heard that detonation sounds like BB's or marbles in a can being shaken. Could detonation really sound like liquid bubbling?

i know exactly what sound you are talking about. it sounds like water flowing in a fish tank filter. My toyota did this for like a year and then a put a new radiator cap on. I think maybe there was air in the system so once the water pump turned it was pushing the flow of water through the heater core. I dont know, like i said, i put a new cap on and it went away. This makes sense that the cap was bad becuase i had to put coolant in the resivoir every now and then.

ShortThrow50, I usually do have to fill the coolant every month or two for some reason, and I notice every once in a while seeing a huge leak on the ground where I park which is coolant. Maybe that is the problem. How do you pressurize the coolant system? Thanks.