Strange no start problem

AquamanCHS

Sep 17, 2003
N. VA
Okay, a few days ago my car developed this problem:

I walk to my car and unlock it fine with my remote. I get in and the Theft light blinks like it always does... I can turn the key halfway and the rest of the dash lights come on.. but then if I turn the key to start the car I get a single click and everything dies. No lights, no sounds, nothing. I can't even use the remote to lock/unlock the doors.

Now, if I pop the hood, the theft light instantly comes back on like normal and I can use the remote again. What's stranger is that I can turn the key and the car starts right up, no problems. I close the hood and drive away, no problems after that. I've even tried popping the hood to get power back, closing the hood and starting it again and it just cuts out.

Is this something PATS related? Is having my hood closed somehow shorting something out? This has me thoroughly confused. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I can't see the hood shorting something out as it doesn't touch anything electrical? The click is the starter engaging but the car won't turn over? Pop the hood and make sure it's not touching anything, and as always, do a complete visual inspection to see if anything glaring is going on.
~A.C.
Edit: P.S.- CHS--> chantilly high school?

ACSPONY said:
I can't see the hood shorting something out as it doesn't touch anything electrical? The click is the starter engaging but the car won't turn over? Pop the hood and make sure it's not touching anything, and as always, do a complete visual inspection to see if anything glaring is going on.
~A.C.
Edit: P.S.- CHS--> chantilly high school?

Yep, Chantilly HS

AquamanCHS said:
Okay, a few days ago my car developed this problem:

I walk to my car and unlock it fine with my remote. I get in and the Theft light blinks like it always does... I can turn the key halfway and the rest of the dash lights come on.. but then if I turn the key to start the car I get a single click and everything dies. No lights, no sounds, nothing. I can't even use the remote to lock/unlock the doors.

Now, if I pop the hood, the theft light instantly comes back on like normal and I can use the remote again. What's stranger is that I can turn the key and the car starts right up, no problems. I close the hood and drive away, no problems after that. I've even tried popping the hood to get power back, closing the hood and starting it again and it just cuts out.

Is this something PATS related? Is having my hood closed somehow shorting something out? This has me thoroughly confused. :shrug:

does your car have the active anti theft or passive.sounds to me like you have somthing shorting out when the hood is closed..

another possiblitiy is there is a fault in the alram module. this problem really needs too be looked at in person.