Strange Noise @ 50 mph

iamwillallen182

Mar 2, 2008
Last night when going down the road my car started making an awkward noise everytime i got around 50 mph. The car sounds like it's going the road with the emergency brake on. It's not slowing itself down though & the sound only occurs around the 50 mph mark. The sound is so loud & at times unbearable. Any info would be helpful and gratefully appreciated.

2003 Ford Mustang GT
56,510 miles

• Sponsors (?)

Start out by checking your calipers. Make sure none of your calipers are seized, and you can check this by trying to putting the car on level ground, and pushing the car with the transmission in neutral. If the car doesn't budge, your calipers are more than likely seized.
Also, check your brake pads. Chances are, you have very little pad material left, and you are hearing the wear indicator/caliper rubbing on the rotor.

I checked the rear brake pads & they are pretty worn down. I have'nt checked the calipers yet but plan on doing so when I get home tonight. Hopefully the calipers aren't sticking but I will have to change out those pads out A.S.A.P.

yeah the rear will make alot of noise especially if the rear seal blows and u leak ur dif fluid out lol happened to me...the ppl that installed my gears got the wrong seal and blew while i was goin down 95...made a whole lot of loud nasty noises

The noise comes in about 45 mph under load and fades out around 65. But when i let off when going down the road it starts to make the noise again. I would have to say it is a howling sound; that's a good way to describe it. When coasting through town and i'm slightly accelerating it starts to make the noise also.
I do know the rear brakes do need replacing and I still have'nt comfirmed to see if a caliper is sticking. But after reading the last two posts I'm thinking I should check the rear diff. fuild and maybe change it out and add some Lucas.
What would be the best thing to check first?