Strange Noise Comming From Rear End

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
Hold the fart jokes please.
I have a whinning noise comming from somewhere in the rear end. Haha.

I am more than likely the cause of the problem. I added way too much fluid to the rear end when I did a diff. cover swap. More than double what was needed. Then I drove it on the highway really hard, drag raced it at The New England Dragway and drove it home hard. On the way home I started hearing the noise. Sounds like a spun bearing or messed up gears or something. Those are my two best guesses. The noise gets more noticable as the car goes faster.

I just got some money and $150 to Summit and the rear end of the car is the only thing thats been keeping me from putting it back on the road.

I could really use some advice or directions to fix the problem and get things moving again.
I have a budget of $500 if that helps.

Fawcett

• Sponsors (?)

i dont think adding all that oil hurt it but i may be wrong. itd blow the oil out if anything. remove the cover and give it a visual inspection. if it f%^ked, theres a ton of tutorials on rearend building and especially the 8.8 if you want to diy

The wheel bearings have a tendancy to fail. They are cheap to fix, but if you don't get to them immediately they will tear up your axle shafts.

Kurt