Strange sounds?

aFTeRLiFe

Apr 26, 2011
Greetings all,

Got a 01 GT stang, when ever I am going at speeds 60+ there is a noise - sounds like it is coming from the front tire area on the driver side. However someone told me it could be wind getting up under something, I put the window down and can't hear it. So I was leaning towards it being wind either blowing underneath something or into my driver side window. Does anyone else get sounds like this, is it normal?

I am also getting a rattling sound out of the vent area, sounds like someone may have dropped something in side. It's lose and I can move it, but still can't figure out where the sounds are coming from? Wish I knew some mustang folks near by to get some input from & possibly to drive my car to find any problems.

Hopefully this is enough information, not too sure how else to describe them.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Luckily there isn't much to the New Edge front end. So finding the problem shouldn't be too hard. Do you hear it at all times over 60? Does it happen when braking? Any vibrations or shaking in the steering wheel or through the floor? How many miles? Has the car been in a collision? Sorry for all the questions but that'll help pinpoint your problem...

Does the noise from the front get worse if you "slalom" a bit in a lane, going left and right a bit going down the road? If it gets worse one way or the other you may have a wheel bearing issue.

Luckily there isn't much to the New Edge front end. So finding the problem shouldn't be too hard. Do you hear it at all times over 60? Does it happen when braking? Any vibrations or shaking in the steering wheel or through the floor? How many miles? Has the car been in a collision? Sorry for all the questions but that'll help pinpoint your problem...
Yes, normally I hear it at all times.
No doesn't happen when braking.
Quite a bit of shaking in the steering wheel, below for the answer on that.
22700, not many at all.
Yes, been in a collision that messed up the front end and underneath, but this problem was occurring before the accident. I was hoping it would fix the problem, lol.

Was a rainy day and I got :poo: tires, fish tailed it and lost control. Ran up the curb that messed up both tires and wheels. Went into a wooded area, that messed up a bit underneath. Was 7k worth of damage. But I love my car so I couldn't give it up! I still am paying on it, bought it in 2010.

Thanks

Does the noise from the front get worse if you "slalom" a bit in a lane, going left and right a bit going down the road? If it gets worse one way or the other you may have a wheel bearing issue.
No, it doesn't get any worse. At least I have never really noticed it getting worse in situations like that.

I'm actually thinking about dumping some more money into it. Think I'm going to get me some 17x10.5 deep dish for the rear and 17x9 for the front.
I have 2 sets of different tires on it now and it's driving me crazy! It looks weird. I have different sets because they stopped making the ones I previously had on it before the collision so they could not find them. Lets hope I will have it many many miles to come! I enjoy her!

Ugh, bit of advice...I'd stay away from the stealership. If anything just go to a local shop that you're familiar with...
Well, never really been to many places. Past car used to go to Mr. Tire they screwed me out of $500 and will never return to another one again.
I have been taking my 01 GT to the dealership for any oil changes or anything. They seem quite good, but who knows. Not familiar with any other shops.