Resolved Stripping bolt holes

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

GUNNER81

Apr 27, 2022
Wisconsin
I have a question for all you guys well investigating a vibration in my Mustang I noticed that there are two bolt holes on my flywheel that hold the pressure plate onto the flywheel are starting to strip what is the best way and easiest way to fix these threads without replacing the flywheel??

Attachments

• IMG_20231115_151426907.jpg
    IMG_20231115_151426907.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20231115_151421981.jpg
    IMG_20231115_151421981.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Sponsors (?)

For $89 at Oreilly I would just buy a new flywheel. By the time you are done messsing around trying to fix the threads and hoping it holds you could have the new one on, trans back in and piece of mind.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I would buy a new flywheel.

You can repair the threads with various means, but at the end of the day this is a spinning disk that was balanced when shipped. Now you'd added a small bit of weight and it might be enough to cause an annoying vibration. I would rather just get a new flywheel than deal with potential annoying vibration.

And i've done just this. Brand new Ford OE flywheel with maybe 500 miles on it. Stripped a clutch bolt hole. Bought a new flywheel.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
My SFI flywheel has two helicoiled holes for the pressure plate and the T-5 bell housing has all four holes that the trans attaches to helicoiled. I mentioned this to my engine builder who balanced the assembly and he said not enough to mess with anything. If you had a zero balance bling bling high rpm motor that was making a lot of power sure I can see it but for the average 50 oz or 28 oz imbalance motors its just not going to matter.

Reactions: 1 user