Stupid Oil Change Question

Pearl02

Nov 27, 2004
Kansas City
How much oil does a 02 GT holds? I bought the car uses and gave it's first oil change. The owners manual says it holds 5 quarts. I put 5 quarts in the car but the oil level barely measured on the dip stick. I called a dealer to ask them. They said it hols 6 quarts or so. I added another quart. I also noticed the dip stick had a bad "bend" in it which wouldn't measure the oil at the right level. Also I have a 8 quart drain pan. When I drained the oil out the pan was almost full. The dealership i bought the car from had given it a fresh oil change. I believe the mechanic overfilled the crank case because he was working off the bent dip stick. He kept adding oil until it read full. I bought a new dip stick. It reads much better that the old one. However, it doesn't read full with 6 quarts of oil in the crank case. I'm reading the oil level on level ground. Does the GT have a oil cooler? I couldn't find one. What are you guys thoughts. Thanks Pearl02.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies. This is why I do most of the maintenance myself. I was very shocked to see that much oil come out of the car. I'm figuring it had around 7 quarts in it. I've invested alot of money in tools and I enjoy working on my vehicles. The new dip stick still puzzles me. It's not reading "full" after adding a additional quart(6 total). It may take a extra half quart to bring it to "full". Thanks Pearl02.

streetstang03 said:
not too sure, but may have something to do with the different heads in the 01+ GTs

Thanks,

I guess that would make sence, but now my next question is, why the diffrent heads if the 99+ are putting down the same power ?