Stupid thing I discovered about getting my car painted- tell me if Im crazy-

I forgot to add this. When picking a shop or a person to do the work, make sure you see previous cars that they've painted. I picked my guy after seeing his work on my Uncle's '65 Mustang Fastback, my brother's '85 GT, my cousin's '82 GT and my other cousin's '84 SVO. I've also seen many custom motorcycles and other cars that he's done. Most of everything that I've seen him do has ended up in a magazine.

During show season, attend as many shows as possible and ask the owners of all of the cars that you admire, who painted them. You'll soon find your guy!

• Sponsors (?)

GNN60GT500 said:
I took my car to several reputable shops-

Every one of them was quoting $8500- $10000

So I take my car to one shop that quoted $9000-

I ask how much to repaint the hood and the 1/4 panels-

I am told they will do it for $750-

I ask how much if I just wanted to do the fenders and doors-

I get told $600-

I ask how much for just the roof and trunk- they tell me $800-

They also tell me it will be 3 months to paint the entire car-

but 1 week for each of the above combinations-

So entire car= $9000 and 3 months-

or I can break it up into 3 parts-

1/4 panel/ hood

doors/ front fenders

roof/ trunk

for a total time of 3 weeks (1 week for each combination)

for a total cost of $2150-

Am I missing something here?

Do all shops work like this?
Where do you live I have a guy here who repainted my 2004 GTO a whole different color for $5500 and he did a perfect job, I live in Waterloo, IA by the way:nice:

There is so many different variables to explain why it costs so much to paint a car(especially if its a classic). Depending how many coats of paint you want from primer, base, and clear. They also have to block the car with bondo to make sure the paint on the car looks straight and to cover any low spots. Also the more parts that they have to take off, or tape up adds to the labor cost. Finally you have to add in the costs of the paint which varies alot.

68rustang said:
What is your version of better?

The newer BC/CC paint systems are more durable than the old stuff.

Better as in concours correct?
Go with original style paint.

I guess that I'm still trying to stay as stock as possible, but I like the idea of the more durable paing.