Suggested Timing

I had the E cam in my Y-headed (aluminum) set up before switching to a custom -- it wanted all the timing I could give it. I ran mine at 18 btdc with no detonation problems. I'd keep easing it up toward that number and listen for detonation; if you get some, back off just a bit.
 
Well I'm idleing great rite now & man is it strong @ mid throttle but my lowend "Response Time" is delayed & it just does not pull like it should or atleast I remember anyways when I first got it, I am also running a bit warm temperature wise, any suggestions ?

Ford told me 16-18, I got it @ 16 will try others tomorrow "up & down" but I got another question, What do you mean by detonation, how do I spot it, what's the sound ?
 
I don't usually run mine over 14*. I've run it as high as 17*. I really didn't find it gave me any more power running it so high and it was always jerky in low gear and tougher to start when it was warm.
 
I can stomp it to the floor & let off before it responds "Takes Off" I don't remember it being like that & even then it don't burn out, what could be causing this, I think everything else is correct, I put heads, intake, injectors & mass air flow on it, timing is the only thing I can think of :shrug:
 
To much timing will actually hurt your bottom end and throttle response. try backing it off a couple of degree's and see how it is. And yeah, pre-ignition sounds kinda like marbles in a tin can, only not so.....tinny.