Summit brand oil pump vs Melling

Just wondering if theres any difference from anyone who has used them. i cant find the pickup for the melling, and the summit one has the pickup already on there. keep in mind, these are standard volume pumps im lookin at.

summit pump & pickup SES-5-60-08-005 = $45.95

Melling pump MEL-M68 = $21.95

anyone know where i can get the melling pickup at? im tryin to call summits tech line but all you other people with questions are tying up the line!

• Sponsors (?)

IMO - Don't get cheap with an oil pump! Is probably the most important component for the longevity of your engine (aside from acutally changing your oil regularly).

Go ahead and be cheap on things like the altinator or the starter or windsheild washer pump.

If it was my $30 and I knew that the Melling pickup was less restrictive or something I'd get it.

Mellings make almost ALL the oil pumps!! Look at your pump.. it will be cast in " M68" or M68HV.. no matter of whose name is on the box... summitt/TRW/speed pro/ ect... they are all Mellings!! Cool?? save the mark up and always buy Mellings!! they ARE the oil pump!!

Just me......................

Thumper

I actually decided to use an oem ford oil pump, little bit more expensive, but it's not a reman like the mellings. (although, as he stated, everybody and their mother seems to run a melling)

well, this is another issue im having, i think im confusing people when i ask this... so let me make sure i word it right:

-I have a stock oil pan.
-I have a melling high VOLUME pump (not to be confused with high PRESSURE)
-I was told that it would suck the pan dry by about 1/2 the people ive asked, then the other 1/2 said it wouldnt cavitate or suck it dry since its high VOLUME, not high PRESSURE. I think they were thinking i have a high pressure pump. I was told that if i put the high VOLUME pump in a stock pan, i shouldnt run the rpms over 5000. now, with the stock pump, i shifted at 5400rpms, i would think that with a high VOLUME pump, it would just allow more oil up at a higher rpm.

can someone for once and for all clear this up for me?

Well not related to a oil pump but I ordered the summit brand complete fuel system for a carb. I got a summit fuel electric fuel pump and regulator. In the boxes were aeromotive directions. HMM?? Maybe its a sign. Also, it was about 50 bucks cheaper for the pump and 20 or so for the regulator. Just something to keep in mind when ordering summit stuff.

Mellings is NOT re-man!! they ARE the manufacture..Cool?? Look clos at that Ford pump??!!

NO!! the high volume pump will NOT suck the pan dry!!! It will IF the top end of the engine is plugged up with gunk!! This oil/oil pan saying has been around for a million years.. when people would try to fix an oil problem in a gunked up engine with a pump change... you are fine!! cool?? Shift it and where you want!! with the proper clearances I shift mine at 7500 rpm .. stock oil pan!!

Thumper

thumper460 said:
Mellings is NOT re-man!! they ARE the manufacture..Cool?? Look clos at that Ford pump??!!

NO!! the high volume pump will NOT suck the pan dry!!! It will IF the top end of the engine is plugged up with gunk!! This oil/oil pan saying has been around for a million years.. when people would try to fix an oil problem in a gunked up engine with a pump change... you are fine!! cool?? Shift it and where you want!! with the proper clearances I shift mine at 7500 rpm .. stock oil pan!!

Thumper

Ok, now you've piqued my interest. I've actually got both right in front of me, and was gonna use the ford unit (which has ford stamped on it, melling doesn't)

which would you use? I'm still partial to the ford new one, what do you think?

I would use the one you like!! IF they are both new.. then use the Ford if you like!! The point being.. IF you were buying, and the prices are a lot different.. FORD for 53.00 ( just for this pourpose) and the Melling was 12.95.. then the melling would be better not only in price but more likely they are the same pump!! There are only a few thing that the mfg's make any more.. most of their products are sub contracted... cool??

Thumper

The HV pump will have clearnace issues with the stock pan, you do not need a HV or HP pump unless you have the bearings clearances that require it.

Run a standard M68, and free up a few horse power. If you do not properly clearance the pick-up to the pan yes you can suck it dry, it also has to do with the vetilaion of the motor and the motor not returning the oil to the pan fast enough.

i'm actually looking into the same thing.... I have a 306 with a turbo and oil filter relocation kit.... The oil pump that was on the block is suposedly a high vol pump.... however it felt the need to seize up on me and then in turn break the pump shaft! So we ended up pulling the motor last night, hiowever i'm going to be gettin another pump but i wanted to make sure it dosn't happen again..... Any reasons as to what could of happend? I have the stock oil pan 2........ Pickup looked clean and clear. The only thing is when it would idle sometimes the poil press would drop to 0 then just give it a slight amount of gas and it would jump right back up. which i figured was the POS stock oil press sensor. But now i'm not sure WTF to do..... do i go stock flow or high vol, i'm just worried cas i have a lot of stuff hanging off the motor that oil needs to go to....