Supercharged 01 GT or Stock 04 Cobra?

xenon

Jun 17, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I have been itching to do something with my 2001 supercharged GT. I have spent too much money on this GT already and I am wondering if I should continue to dump more money into it. Should I continue with my GT or should I just bite the bullet and buy a 04 Cobra?

I was thinking about buying a forged longblock so that I can increase the boost on my s/c. Also was going to rebuilt the rear-end and change the entire suspension setup for drag racing.

My goal is to be "streetable" and still hit mid 11s all day long.

The 04 Cobra needs allot less to make it to the 11s. It would probably cost the same to continue my mods on my GT than it would to buy a Cobra and slap some bolt-ons.

My GT may be quick but its still a GT at the end of the day. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

xenon said:
I have been itching to do something with my 2001 supercharged GT. I have spent too much money on this GT already and I am wondering if I should continue to dump more money into it. Should I continue with my GT or should I just bite the bullet and buy a 04 Cobra?

I was thinking about buying a forged longblock so that I can increase the boost on my s/c. Also was going to rebuilt the rear-end and change the entire suspension setup for drag racing.

The 04 Cobra needs allot less to make it to the 11s. It would probably cost the same to continue my mods on my GT than it would to buy a Cobra and slap some bolt-ons.

i think you answered your own question

xenon said:

I say stick with the GT. Youve already got it supercharged, you really dont need to get all that much more stuff for it. Unless your planning on paying cash for a cobra outright its going to cost you alot to upgrade. For one thing, your going to get RAPED if you trade in your GT. Used car market is horrible with 0% financing on most cars these days. Also, cobra is like 10k more at least then a GT, so if your making payments, add on at least $300 more a month for car payment above what your paying now. Of course if your wealthy already and paying cash, or keeping the GT, I guess it doesnt matter!

Dale Royster said:
I say stick with the GT. Youve already got it supercharged, you really dont need to get all that much more stuff for it. Unless your planning on paying cash for a cobra outright its going to cost you alot to upgrade. For one thing, your going to get RAPED if you trade in your GT. Used car market is horrible with 0% financing on most cars these days. Also, cobra is like 10k more at least then a GT, so if your making payments, add on at least $300 more a month for car payment above what your paying now. Of course if your wealthy already and paying cash, or keeping the GT, I guess it doesnt matter!

:stupid:

you are going to lose a ton of money on your car if you trade it now.

I know where you are coming from.

I bought my 2000 GT with 19K miles on it for $19000 + tax = $20,000 back in 12/02.

Trade in value over the summer of 2003 was $12,000.

I also have spent $10,000 in modifications = $30,000.

My stock shortblock finally quit and if Ford doesn't replace it under warranty that is another $5000+ for a forged internal shortblock and to redo my heads = $35000+ for a used GT. :nonono:

I can probably sell my stuff for $4000 and sell my GT for $12,000 = $16,000 which will pay off my car loan.

Then I would have to buy a Cobra for $30,000+ and finance it at around $600-$650 a month. Then I would still want to mod it and potentially void the warranty on a brand new Cobra. :notnice:

So where am I at now:

I am probably going to have Ford do a new longblock under warranty.

If it lasts, I will have a 400rwhp+ daily driver for $30,000 that should run high 11s or low 12s with an automatic and beat all but the heavily modded 03-04 Cobras.

Then I have my 92 which I am in to for about $12,000 to go high 10s to handle the rest. :nice:
If I could learn how to drive it well. :rolleyes:
I actually had a woman in a new WS6 T/A pull away from me from a dead stop while I sat there spinning my Nitto drag radials. :nonono:

Howard

I like the idea of a Cobra myself but for me the insurance company still sees mine as a GT... I plan on doing a bunch more than just bolt ons eventually and even then, the insurance company will still see it as a GT...

Bo

kennym01 said:
As much as I like the cobra's I kind of like the idea of having a sleeper gt that can take on the cobra.

I would imagine that the look on their faces when your just past the door handle still in 1st gear is enough to make me grin for quite a while, lol. I can't wait to get more ponies in my pony!

Bo

I went through this a few weeks ago when I got the cobra. The only way I would do it is make sure to get a decent amount on your trade.
I traded in my Steeda GT for the cobra and since they were giving me $22,500 for a trade I couldn't say no. The used car manager at the dealership agreed to what I wanted for the car so the deal was done and 2 hours later I drove the cobra home. My old car was put on the used car lot that sunday (I got my cobra on friday) and sold at 2:30 pm the same day :(

Old Car
side.jpg

New Car
attachment.php

keep the GT..ur car is already sick as it is...get a forged longblock later...lot of parts for the modular market are on their way for next year..so I wouldn't be surprised some companies come with products we were not expecting as of today...I say..wait and see...plus 05 body style is on its way...price for 99-04 is gonna drop in couple of months...my 0.02

neoclasiccl said:
I went through this a few weeks ago when I got the cobra. The only way I would do it is make sure to get a decent amount on your trade.
I traded in my Steeda GT for the cobra and since they were giving me $22,500 for a trade I couldn't say no. The used car manager at the dealership agreed to what I wanted for the car so the deal was done and 2 hours later I drove the cobra home. My old car was put on the used car lot that sunday (I got my cobra on friday) and sold at 2:30 pm the same day :(

Old Car
side.jpg

New Car
attachment.php

did you have a Steeda Q400?

-Ryan

same dilema here a little while ago....
youd be paying more for insurance, jumping back into a 5-6 year car loan (im assuming you have maybe 2-3 left on yours), theres no element of surprise when you have a cobra.... your expected to be hella fast.... if you want to be a drag car your gonna have to ditch the irs....
keep with the gt, and get it paid off. then yout options are unlimited. remember the gt is 300lbs less so thats a big advantage right there... why dont you get a built short block for $3,500...
theres plenty of gt's on here that have proven they can make crazy horsepower.
plus your already supercharged....
thats what i went through, and decided to keep the gt... ill have my kenne bell soon enough :D