Supercharger/Dyno Number Question

Fox5-0

Dec 20, 2018
Kansas City, MO
Hey guys, new to StangNet. Was looking for some advice on where to buy a used supercharger kit as well as a dyno interpretation. I have been searching eBay for months with no luck. Looking to spend around $1500. Not happy with current power.

I did a rebuild this summer and wasnt satisfied with the numbers. 306, AFR 185 heads, X-Cam, Professional Products Typhoon Intake (Chinese Edelbrock Performer), 75mm throttle body, 30 lb Injectors, DSS Forged Pistons, custom tuned from a very reputable KC tuner, LSXKilr. Only ended up with 280rwhp. Does this not seem low? Also, it peaked at only 5,200 RPM. Any thoughts on those numbers with that parts combo? Maybe I just need to add a supercharger. Was hoping to be around 325rwhp naturally aspirated. Just switched to Trickflow Track Heat Intake in hopes of gaining power in upper RPM range.

Thanks in advance!
44421188_10156741284158545_9191674628454481920_o.jpg
44336090_10156741284288545_7538046300336422912_o.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Those numbers are a little low, and I think you're right about the intake hurting your numbers. Do you have the 58cc or 72cc 185s? Any idea what your compression ratio is with the DSS pistons?

Thanks for the reply! I have the 58cc chambers. I believe we calculated it out to be right around 9.1:1 or so because I wanted to leave the option open to supercharge. I'll probably get it dyno'd again for the hell of it since I just got the Trick Flow Track Heat intake installed. That seemed to be the best starting place. Was bummed to only end up about 100rwhp above stock with that parts list, was hoping to get close to that from the heads alone. Definitely open to any ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

I think your problem is that you have a bunch of mismatched parts.
If you spend the money on afr185's, smart money buys a custom cam.
For an intake i'd be using an RPM II.

When you got with a larger head you need to compensate with the cam.

Right now you are also way over injectored.
You can run 24's into the 325rwhp range.
The 30's would be good with a better cam and intake.

I think your problem is that you have a bunch of mismatched parts.
If you spend the money on afr185's, smart money buys a custom cam.
For an intake i'd be using an RPM II.

When you got with a larger head you need to compensate with the cam.

Right now you are also way over injectored.
You can run 24's into the 325rwhp range.
The 30's would be good with a better cam and intake.

Thanks for the insight! I just switched over to the Trick Flow Track Heat this week which is supposed to be comparable to the RPM 2 with an RPM range of 1500-6500. I definitely notice a difference in how hard it pulls now from 5,000-6,000 RPM. What cam would you suggest instead of the X-Cam? I plan to have another dyno pull done this next week and will see what I gained in upgrading the intake. Also, my tuner asked that the timing was set to 10 degrees. Could I be losing power because of this?

If you are wanting to get the most out of your combo then you need to do as mentioned above and get a custom cam ground. The Ford ABC came are old and out dated especially if you are looking to get the most out of the combo. It was a good idea on the swap of the intake to something that flows better.

I also question the 30lb injectors due to being to big for your combo, and you will need bigger if you SC based on you amount of boost Psi. It looks like from the pictures you maybe running a C&L MAF you do have the correct 30lb tube inside right?

You keep stating your getting a custom tune. What is your tuner using to tune the car? Do you have an aftermarket ECU? I run a Megasquirt system and a few of us have seen many many bad tunes so it does make you question a couple items.

I also run megasquirt and am interested in knowing what system your tuner is tuning with.

Also, I agree that a different cam with probably help you get the numbers you are looking for NA. The intake was probably choking a bit, the x cam is supposed to run until 6500. That camshaft doesn't come on until 3500 rpm...seems like it may be a little lazy down bottom on the street.

What are you trying to get out of the car....street....race....spirited street car...cruiser....?

The numbers maybe a little low, but definitely in the ball park. I wouldn't expect you to pick up that much hp with the track heat intake either. Maybe 10 or less and mostly at the peak so you wont even tell the difference until you get up there in RPM. Obviously a supercharger will change everything, but if you are just looking for more seat of the pants feel, then a custom grind is probably your best bet.

What is the exhaust set up? Were your dyno numbers corrected or actual? Was the camshaft degree'd when installed? Your probably losing some power with that X cam, porting the lower intake would be worth a couple of hp. I would think the its a combination of low compression and the cam. Your injectors being too big, and maf calibration, are not a problem those are easily addressed by any competent tuner.

Reactions: 1 user
The casting on the Chinese Typhoon intakes are horrible. I should know, I have a real Edelbrock RPM upper and it's really hard to pair with chinese lower I have. In fact the ports were so small after laying down the gasket I had to rework on the chambers. It took forever and still all not very good match to the Edelbrock.

The X303 cam, never liked. I always seem to read low numbers with that cam. A buddy of mine had a 306 and failed to make 300 at the wheels. He then went with a Lunati custom cam and long tube headers which was a big improvement. I want to say like 40+HP increase at the wheels (long time ago, had Edelbrock 6037 heads I think with a real GT40 intake with ported lower).

You didn't mention your MAF, seems to be blocked by the box.

Here is the Typhoon intake issues.

The runners are not equal at all, seem to be 8 different sizes. They aren't even square like the Edelbrock and gasket. I tried reshaping them but still not so good.

44605151382_7890dd177d_b.jpg
Untitled by jpjr501, on Flickr

You can see in this pic below I cleaned up two of the port on the right, the ones on the left had to be trimmed too. I'm only just doing the tops too, worse down the line.

43936342264_8734546f7a_b.jpg

Even after gasket matching the ports were so rough and jaded. I'll have to ditch this at some point.

30784861028_2a851ebfb5_b.jpg