Surging Idle w/ e303 cam

Redfire 05

Apr 6, 2005
Lubbock, TX
I just got through putting in a new engine w/ a cobra intake ported stock heads and an e303 cam and I've been having problems with an occasional surging idle. Sometimes it happens when the car is cold sometimes it happens when the car is warm. And sometimes it seems to run fine.

So I've read through the surging idle checklist a few times and tried adjusting my idle speed w/ spout and IAC unplugged. But I'm having problems getting the idle speed down to 600 rpms (judging from the stock tack which may or may not be accurate). When I get down below 700 rpms the idle starts surging and the car eventually dies.

I've searched for vacuum leaks and I don't find any, though I'm not positive on the gaskets. I did check the intake manifold gaskets by spraying carb cleaner (yes I know it's dangerous) around it and didn't hear any change in idle speed. I'm not sure how much vacuum I should have (someone have a number for me?), but I have a gauge and could check it. I should have already checked it, but now I'm sitting at the computer and I don't want to go back out right now.

Is the e303 cam radical enough to cause idle problems and difficulty adjusting the idle speed? I thought it was supposed to maintain a near stock idle quality?

• Sponsors (?)

The E cam is known for surging, I have a similar setup and it surged/surges under 800rpms. Especially when my e-fan kicked on....even with a 3-gen alt.

At first I upped my idle to 1000, and the surging completely went away. But since I installed my Tweecer and entered my MAFS table and injector slopes, the idle got much better. I still have my idle set high, around 850 or so....higher than stock, but at least it is smooth. :)

The E-cam is a pretty garbage cam to be honest, it is old technology, it drops off in too low of an RPM, and it really isn't very "driveable". If you really want to see things open up, you should get a better cam and some stronger valve springs.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The E- cam has been around, but it's known for a reason. It has strong mid-range. i drove mine around town, to the track and back with no problems and ran consistant 12.9 with lousy 60'. (2.0+)
A slightly higher idle is to be expected. Thats why we run converters or sticks. Good luck-

Cool, I'll try to adjust my idle up and see how things work out.

As far as the power curve for the e cam I agree that it doesn't really add much low end, but it really feels good in the mid and upper rpms. But if you check out the link below for a cam shootout, you will see that the other cams they tested are similar. Including the X303 which so many people seem to love.

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/cams/cams.htm

i would set the idle a little higher like around 800 or 900 and ill bet it will idle better. i was just messing around with mine and i ran into the same problem, so i just bumped the idle back up and it runs just fine
if your looking for the lumpy sound you should of went with a bigger cam with more duration

i would set the idle a little higher like around 800 or 900 and ill bet it will idle better. i was just messing around with mine and i ran into the same problem, so i just bumped the idle back up and it runs just fine
if your looking for the lumpy sound you should of went with a bigger cam with more duration

Yeah I thought a lumpy cam might sound cool, but I decided on the e303 because it adds some top end power and everything I read said it would have a good idle. Maybe I should have just gone with a lumpy cam?

I also had the same problems with my E-cam, I got the idle at 900 or so now, with little to no more problems......if I could do it again I would have gone tfs stage 1 for sure

That "lumpy sound" is your gas money and bottom end falling out your exhaust. :eek: Keep it real and get it to the ground. If they can vouch for it, ask for time slips......... :D

i dont have time slips but i raced my buddies car with a tfs stage 1, ported explorer intake, tremmic 3550 and 2.73 gears and untouched e7 heads
verses my stock heads and cam explorer intake t-5 and 3.73, i got him out the hole but he flew past me likt i was standing still.......thats my time slip!

Hey, Its all good. We all the same death wish...go as fast as insanely possible as quick as possible. The track has a way of handing out 14 second tags to 12 second street cars. Go to the track... its the only way to know for sure. Good luck..no hard feelings?\
:nice:

when I put my e-cam in I was able to get it to idle around 750-800 rpms. any less and it would eventually shut off. I have a 5 spd, but I think auto cars end up having to have it idle closer to 900rpms.

You guys with idle problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first post has all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix you idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix! :D

I just got through putting in a new engine w/ a cobra intake ported stock heads and an e303 cam and I've been having problems with an occasional surging idle. Sometimes it happens when the car is cold sometimes it happens when the car is warm. And sometimes it seems to run fine.

So I've read through the surging idle checklist a few times and tried adjusting my idle speed w/ spout and IAC unplugged. But I'm having problems getting the idle speed down to 600 rpms (judging from the stock tack which may or may not be accurate). When I get down below 700 rpms the idle starts surging and the car eventually dies.

I've searched for vacuum leaks and I don't find any, though I'm not positive on the gaskets. I did check the intake manifold gaskets by spraying carb cleaner (yes I know it's dangerous) around it and didn't hear any change in idle speed. I'm not sure how much vacuum I should have (someone have a number for me?), but I have a gauge and could check it. I should have already checked it, but now I'm sitting at the computer and I don't want to go back out right now.

Is the e303 cam radical enough to cause idle problems and difficulty adjusting the idle speed? I thought it was supposed to maintain a near stock idle quality?

I used to have an E cam with 1.7 RR's, and it definitely wouldn't idle as low as the stock cam. I think I had it idling closer to 800 or 850 (5-speed car), and it was still pretty lopey sounding for a street car. It definitely didn't sound anything like a stock idle.

I was always pretty happy with that cam, it sounded cool and made good mid to top end power. If I was going to put a cam in another 5.0 I might do a little research and pick something better, but I was happy with the E's performance and sound.

Jeff