Suspension Mod Hurting Anything?

98GTBlkConv

May 26, 2004
Hey all! It's been a while since I have been on the boards as it's been a busy Summer. Anyway, earlier this year, I had my 1998GT lowered with springs. It was nothing radical, just 1 1/2" in rear and around 1" in front. I also had KB weld-in subframe connectors (full length) installed. It now feels like I am "bottoming out" when I hit a bump in the road. Is anything being hurt by this? Also, what do I need to do next to make the ride nice and tight, while smooth? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, you can bottom out on stock shocks and struts with lowered springs. A shorter spring would give you less travel in your suspension, and without proper adjustment with other parts you can bottom out, and in actuality increase understeer and bumpsteer that you would actually have stock. You gain some suspension benefits with lower springs, but it just increases dangers in more extreme handling situation (that would be better stock)

98GTBlkConv said:
Hey all! It's been a while since I have been on the boards as it's been a busy Summer. Anyway, earlier this year, I had my 1998GT lowered with springs. It was nothing radical, just 1 1/2" in rear and around 1" in front. I also had KB weld-in subframe connectors (full length) installed. It now feels like I am "bottoming out" when I hit a bump in the road. Is anything being hurt by this? Also, what do I need to do next to make the ride nice and tight, while smooth? Thanks!

To achieve proper wheel alignment and to prevent bump steer, you gotta install caster camber plates and a new set of rack bushings after installing lowering springs. If you don't, you will through off the whole suspension geometry and then you are asking for trouble. Regardless of what you may hear this is a fact... anyone who tells you different does not know what they are talking about.

cronin49 said:
To achieve proper wheel alignment and to prevent bump steer, you gotta install caster camber plates and a new set of rack bushings after installing lowering springs. If you don't, you will through off the whole suspension geometry and then you are asking for trouble. Regardless of what you may hear this is a fact... anyone who tells you different does not know what they are talking about.

Why Rack Bushings? I've never heard this before.

matsm21 said:
thetre offset, and raise the rack up in relation to the rest of the suspension, keeping it close to the stock geometry

bottoming out struts is more serious than rack placement. rack placement will dictate bumpsteer and is for handling purposes. I say get struts with a better travel suited to your lowering, then get a good alignment/caster/camber/toe adjustment. Fix the strut problem above all, then worry about minor tweakings such as bumpsteer and rack bushings. they should be the lowest priority now. Trust me, ive been through hell with my suspension. fix the big things first, then fine tune the little things.

I run Eibach Sportlines, MM CC plates and Tokico Illuminias and shorter sway bar links, I love them, but you have to be very observate, there are spots around town where there are dips that can cause the car to bottom...in my case its not the car bottoming,...but it is the bumpstomps on the struts hitting the strut tower.(thats why they are there)

I drive to prevent this...I hit the stops the very rarely.

SRMobile said:
What kind of springs are you using ? Did you keep the stock shocks or did you replace those as well ?

I am running the stock struts and have not changed any other suspension components. The springs were Eibach, I think. I have been considering CC plates, but was unsure as to how necessary they are. I think I will get some suspension tuning done in the spring as this is a weekend driver for me and I live on the East coast. Thanks for your input.

4.6_02_Black_GT said:
I run Eibach Sportlines, MM CC plates and Tokico Illuminias and shorter sway bar links, I love them, but you have to be very observate, there are spots around town where there are dips that can cause the car to bottom...in my case its not the car bottoming,...but it is the bumpstomps on the struts hitting the strut tower.(thats why they are there)

I drive to prevent this...I hit the stops the very rarely.

How much would it cost to have the CC plates and Tokicos installed (including parts)? I am going to have to do something as the "pogo stick" is not fun to drive right now.

1fast03pony said:
bottoming out struts is more serious than rack placement. rack placement will dictate bumpsteer and is for handling purposes. I say get struts with a better travel suited to your lowering, then get a good alignment/caster/camber/toe adjustment. Fix the strut problem above all, then worry about minor tweakings such as bumpsteer and rack bushings. they should be the lowest priority now. Trust me, ive been through hell with my suspension. fix the big things first, then fine tune the little things.

The guy that installed my springs took out some sort of "damper" or snubber when he installed the springs. He said it was a part that was no longer needed. Is this true?

Donw35 said:
I agree with cronin49,If you can, take your car to a suspension tuning shop. There are several things that could be a problem that if not properly address could result in an accident.
Better safe then sorry..

let us know how it works out

I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry! I had the springs installed by a professional and he suggested CC plates because he couldn't get the tires aligned exactly where he wanted them. I will find a shop in Northern VA or go back to this guy as I want to have it riding nicely. Thanks!

98GTBlkConv said:
The guy that installed my springs took out some sort of "damper" or snubber when he installed the springs. He said it was a part that was no longer needed. Is this true?

When you got your lowered springs you should have gotten a shorter "bump stop" too. If not, get one so you don't keep bouncing off the old one. You need new struts and shocks for the lower springs. And C/C plates. H&R also sells "camber adjustment bolts" which are really nice.

And learn to not hit the dips and ruts like you used to...