suspension question

phil5.0lx

Nov 27, 2006
i am not sure if i am putting this in the right forum, but i could not find one dedicated to suspensions so i figured i would just shoot it out and see what happens. i have a 88 coupe with an almost perfect body but a weak little 2.3 and 5spd, i also have a 88 turbo coupe thunderbird with a really bad body but strong 2.3 tubo engine and 5spd.....(can you tell where this is going?) i want to swap the drive train from the Tbird to the mustang including the 4 wheel disc brakes, now i know the tbird has a 8.8 with 3:55 gears (remember it's a 5 spd) but i also have a spare rear end out of a tbird TC with an auto tranny (3:73 gears :) ) soooo can i swap the rear end including the disc brakes over to my mustang? is the track width close enought o the same where i could get away with this? also can i use the front and rear disc brakes from the tbird but not worry about the electric/ hydraulic brakign system that came in the tbird? i know i will have to do a 2-3 port change and put in an adjustable prop valve and a 4 wheel disc master cylinder (any suggestions) and possibly a different booster. i am jsut wondering if it is feasable without to many trip ups along the way.

any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

It's been done many times...

I'd recommend just swapping over the 3.55 geared 8.8. BTW the TC rears are about 3/4" wider per side if I remember correctly. Shouldn't be a problem with stock-ish wheels and tires.

Also the ABS system in the TC is entirely in the master cylinder so everything else is just standard brake stuff.

I did that swap into my '89 Mustang. The 8.8 housing is the same width as the 7.5. Simply remove the 8.8 axles and install the 7.5 axles. That'll give you stock Mustang trac width. If you run the rear discs with the 7.5 axles, you'll have to get or make adapter brackets to compensate for the 3/4" offset of the discs. www.northracecars.com has them but they ain't cheap!

This link will tell you all you need to know..................
http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/