swapping an automatic for a manual tanny

• Sponsors (?)

How much do you guys think if would cost to switch an auto out for a manual on an 05 mustang GT? everything besides labor

Don't know cost wise, but I would suggest finding a wrecked car with the parts you are looking for and try to negotiate a price. I did the auto-to-5-Spd swap on my 89 (back in 2000) and I got all of the parts I needed (tranny, pedals, clutch, cable, 5-Spd computer, shifter, and center console bezel with shifter) for $550 from a wrecked car. Perhaps you can try to trade the parts with the place you are buying the parts from? I turned around and sold almost all of my auto parts and re-couped most of my money. I can tell you that in my 89, the install was easy and straightforward and everything bolted up without having to modifiy anything. On these cars, I don't know what other parts (tranny mount, center console, drivshaft, etc) would need to be changed, if any. Good luck.

ha well thanks, 550 is pretty good for a compleat swap but with all the car running on computers and all the other cool gadgets its hard for me to say, thanks though, any other input is highly apreciated

It's not worth it unless you already had a drag car built, which even than you shouldn't be swapping to a manual rather an automatic. It might as well be traded in, it'd be cheaper and easier in the end more than likely.

swap

You may try posting a swap for a 5-speed here in the forums. You may find a guy that has a stick but wants an auto....

I know that many people get a stick then realize that an auto is faster when drag racing so they want to switch over just for racing....If you had an 07 or 08 I could send you a couple of candidates...

hey thanks everyone for the input but i just want the general cost of what it would cost me if i was to buy everything, because my friend is telling me it would only cost me about a grand (which i dought) but i want to hear the knowledge that you guys here on the forum think of that.

I did the swap back in '05 and created an online ''how to'' manual. I just tried to access it on geocities and I can't for some reason. I'll look into it and post it later if I can.

The swap is fairly easy. You'll reuse your driveshaft, crossmember and all you'll need is a new pedal box, engine/tranny spacer plate, hydraulic line, clutch package, shifter, engine/tranny portion of the wiring harness (optional, but easier), pilot bearing and some miscelaneous items. It can be done in a weekend. If your car is an '07 or newer you'll need a manny pcm.

I was able to pick up a setup out of a wrecked 05 for about $500. I'm going to upgrade the flywheel, clutch, and shifter so I'll be aroudn $1K total I'm guessing.

I'm using Anthony's swap setup but had to put it off for a while so Anthony needs to get that swap posted again :hail2:

LB

Thats awesome, id sure love to see that swap manual, sounds cool. I probably wouldnt do it but still cool. Now i remember some in an earlyer post saying that an auto is faster at drag, how is that?

Now i remember some in an earlyer post saying that an auto is faster at drag, how is that?

Because you can do a brake-torque launch with automatics, standing on the brake to keep the car at a standstill while you build up power by also putting your other foot on the accelerator. You can't do that in a manual car (unless you have three legs, I guess).

Explained more clearly here:

Modern Racer - Driving Tips - Drag Racing Launch Techniques