Swapping from stock block to a Ford Racing block questions

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Well of course the horsepower bug is biting hard. Ive currentky got a DSS 302 blocked stroked to a 331 with forged internals. Problem now is need more power but im affraid to make anymore on a stock based block. Im looking into getting a Ford Racing 302 block, and is everything pretty able to swap over? Im obviously going to have to have the cylinders bored out, but is it pretty much straight forward? Crank, rods, pistons, will drop right in no problems?

• Sponsors (?)

you have one of the dss cnc blocks? how much hp do they rate them for? i want to run about 500 rwhp out of a 331 also. perhaps, i might buy your block?

Not sure when ill be ready to swap the blocks but ill def keep ya in mind.Block has 2800 miles on it... lol not even really broke in yet.
I called DSS to ask them how high i can go, he said dont go over 530,he said as long as u dont detonate your fine at that level, but dont risk it.

Well of course the horsepower bug is biting hard. Ive currentky got a DSS 302 blocked stroked to a 331 with forged internals. Problem now is need more power but im affraid to make anymore on a stock based block. Im looking into getting a Ford Racing 302 block, and is everything pretty able to swap over? Im obviously going to have to have the cylinders bored out, but is it pretty much straight forward? Crank, rods, pistons, will drop right in no problems?

im guessing you mean the BOSS 302 block and not another stock block? most all the standard 302 stuff will work on the boss, but it uses different (common OD) cam bearings, and if you want to use the stock roller-lifter setup, you'll need the lifter bosses machined down when you get it honed and decked. also not sure if it has a dipstick hole, so you may need an oil pan with provisions for one. head bolts are 1/2 inch vs 7/16, so your heads will (likely) have to be drilled out, but the pattern is the same. basically any off-the-shelf part for a "normal" 302 based engine will work with the boss block.

you have one of the dss cnc blocks? how much hp do they rate them for? i want to run about 500 rwhp out of a 331 also. perhaps, i might buy your block?

A stock block is a stock block, regardless of who machined/prepared it. DSS is notorious for making stock blocks seem more durable than they really are by using a bunch of sales gimmicks.

To the OP, have you considered a Dart block?

Id pick a Dart block over the BOSS... just my $.02

Like previously mentioned all your parts will drop in after some machining but there are a few small differences depending on the exact block you pick.