Swapping Out Clutches?.

shlby123

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2002
Dallas
Is it very similar across the lines of different cars? I have an 88 RX-7 that I have bought a stock clutch kit for, and I dont want you fellas to think I only ask stuff about non-mustangs, it's just that every RX-7 site I've frequented isnt very helpful with actual walkthroughs of these jobs. I not only restore and fix up mustangs but a lot of late eighties foreign sports cars too. I figured if I had a rough idea of how to replace the clutch in a mustang I would know just a little bit about what Im looking at underneath the RX7 too. I dont know:( It's so hard to find solid help!

• Sponsors (?)

Most likely what kind of tools would I need? Or where would the bolts be that I need to remove?

You'll need to start this way...

1- Drop exhaust

2- Drop drive shaft

3- Drop tranny (with friend) it's just 4 bolts i think

4- drop starter

5- drop bell housing (bolts again and some are a beya to get to on top)

6- drop clutch :nice:

All bolts pretty much.

Cool! Well would it help to use four jack stand to lift the whole car up? It's usually so much easier for me to work if I can get under a car comfortably! Oh, and can i use a jackstand or floor jack to rest the tranny on once it's down?

Cool! Well would it help to use four jack stand to lift the whole car up? It's usually so much easier for me to work if I can get under a car comfortably! Oh, and can i use a jackstand or floor jack to rest the tranny on once it's down?

:rlaugh: Yeah forgot to mention you might want to lift the car on all 4's.

You can use a floor jack if you're big enough to handle that thing yourself... I'm too small for that tranny :nice: