Switch Removal

Black 93 Fox

Jun 1, 2003
Vancouver,Washington
Hey guys I posted this over on the ranger forum but no one seems to be responding to it. I have the door ajar switch problem in my ranger. I bought the switchs and took apart the door panel and found the switch but I cant seem to get the damn thing out. I have soaked the switch with WD-40 but the thing still does it so I just bought new switchs. My question is how do I get that switch out of the latch I tried pulling, twisting everything am I not pulling hard enough or does the whole damn latch have to come out with the switch attached to it?

Thanks,
Black 93 Fox

it twists out but if youre not careful, you will break off the tab that holds it in, and then you will need a latch as well. look at the new switch, and how it looks like it would be held in.

btw, i had this problem with my 98 taurus. i went down to the dealer and they gave me a little can of "teflon lock lubricant" you know, the white stuff. they said to spray each latch and slam the door(s) repeatedly until the dome light went out. lol it worked...

Yeah I figured it did twist out but wasnt sure so thought I would post on here before I did break it. I sprayed the crap out of it with WD but still no luck. I'll take the door back apart tommorow and try and twist it do you know which way it needs to be twisted? Like if I am facing the inside of the door do I twist it left or right? Yeah these seems to be a big issue on fords! Thanks for the help!!

Damn It I was hoping I didnt have to remove the latch to replace it. I seen all thoes rods connected to the latch and said nightmare! Well that will be next weekends project then have to live with the ding ding for another weak I guess. Thanks for the help.

superhuaman said:
you need to remove the latch for this:

1 Lift the locking tab.
2 Rotate the door opening warning lamp switch counterclockwise.
3 Remove the door opening warning lamp switch.

Thanks guys just got done doing it the drivers side was somewhat easy but the passenger side was a PITA. Closed the doors so far so good I am just hoping it wasnt one of the quad door switchs when I take it out on the road and hit a bumb that will be the true test.

Thanks Again.