T-5 in a 98GT

• Sponsors (?)

Probably, but it might be difficult. I'm not sure if the aftermarket bellhousings that will bolt up the Tremec 3550 series transmissions will allow the T-5 to bolt up. If your only motivation for the swap is ease of finding one, or having one available, keep in mind that us 5.0 guys try to get rid of them, as they're the weak link in the drivetrain.

Probably, but it might be difficult. I'm not sure if the aftermarket bellhousings that will bolt up the Tremec 3550 series transmissions will allow the T-5 to bolt up. If your only motivation for the swap is ease of finding one, or having one available, keep in mind that us 5.0 guys try to get rid of them, as they're the weak link in the drivetrain.

doesnt the 98 use a t-45?

i thought the t-5 was a stronger version of the t-45

doesnt the 98 use a t-45?

i thought the t-5 was a stronger version of the t-45
The 98 does, in fact use a T-45, but with aftermarket bellhousings available for the 4.6 cars, which would allow a TR-3550 series (TKO 500/600, etc) transmission to bolt up, you may also be able to bolt up a T-5. I haven't done any research to know for sure. Sorry for any confusion, as I wasn't totally clear, in my original response. The T-5 was used from 83 1/2 to 95. The T-45 succeeded it from 96-00, and the TR-3650 afterward. I wouldn't say it's any stronger, or weaker than the T-45. Probably a lot more of them available though.

yeah, so does 96&97.......
And 99-00. :)

Right now the T-5 is bolted on my 5.4L 32v.
I'm planning to install the engine in my 98GT and I want to know if I also install the T-5.
Anyone have already done it, installing a T-5 in a sn95 body? is it alot of trouble or it's a direct replacement ?

Thanks

The T5 uses a 2 bolt starter, the T45 used a 3 bolt starter. The T45 is longer, so you are gonna have to cut the floor in the front so the shifter will fit. The crossmember also bolts up in a different spot. Don't do it, just get a T45 somewhere.

Definitely stronger than the rest but they do have drawbacks of their own. Very notchy feeling and takes them a while to break in. Bellhousing needs to have the runout checked and is more sensitive to air gap on the clutch. Alot of people have issues shifting them over 6K RPM. Plus I know at least for the older TKO, TKO IIs they had brass syncros and were not very forgiving.

Bill