T-top Question

78ttop

Apr 4, 2017
100_1672.JPG
100_1668.JPG
100_1672.JPG
I have a '78 with t-tops. It has a black vinyl band behind the t-tops edged with stainless or aluminum. Does anyone know the buck tag code or the name of this option, if in fact is was an option?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I'll have to look at the buck tag again but maybe RA... Rally Appearance? It would make more sense if it was part of a package so therefore it wouldn't be listed as an individual option. I was curious too if the option had a name. I wouldn't think it would be the half vinyl roof as I've only seen that on Ghia's.

Buck tag = 224346 last six of the vin I think
69F = 3dr hatch
1 then some spaces then 071
1GG (could be 1CG or 1CC)
D = I guess is tinted glass
QM = Quarter Moldings
TRF = T Roof
DRM = Dual remote mirrors
FDS = Fold down seat
then there is a 2 followed by several spaces then a 5222
That's it so no RA...

I don't know if there was a specific code for the Targa band. I always thought it was basically standard for all t-top cars as I don't remember seeing too many without one. After a really quick Google search, I come up with this article from Hemmings.com:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2010/01/Cars-of-the-Fuel-Short-Seventies/2594891.html

A short paragraph from that article:

A styling compromise was offered for those drivers who still wanted to feel the wind in their hair. No new convertible was released, but in mid-1977, Mustang introduced the new T-Roof Convertible option. Using twin removable smoked glass panels, it offered some of the feel of a top-down car without making all the fuel-economy sacrifices of a true drop-top. Included was a Targa band on all except the Cobra II. The T-roof cost $629 on 2+2s, and $587 on Cobra IIs.

I hope this helps you some....

Thank you! That makes sense that the cars that had side window slats wouldn't have the Targa band because the window slats require the full rear window as the targa band covers about two inches of the front of the rear windows.

hi :) my name is rémi and im from montreal quebec ! i just by that beauty :) 30,000 miles never seen winter original paint mint interior
with a very interesting story :) will comeback later ! also sorry for my poor english :( better talk then righting ! at least you can understand :)
about the targa bar ! every mustang with t-top come with it ! all the one you see without ! they took it of ! the only one ho came out with out was a prototype it is the one we see sometimes it is a black with gold strype ! i made a lot of reaserch over years and it appears to be right ! but ! were surprise all the times :)

The targa band is not denoted on the buck tag. Rumor has it the targa band covered up hack jobs cutting in the tops, but no one has confirmed that. You can put side louvers on a targa car. Just cut first slat off. I have them on my King.

Attachments

• 24210178_10214068037765672_2230106416011095409_o.jpg
    24210178_10214068037765672_2230106416011095409_o.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 192