T5 Install Trouble

Tim83

Sep 18, 2016
Per my recent thread I am now reinstalling my transmission after replacing the rear main, pilot bearing, clutch etc. I also had a transmission leak so I had a little work done to the there as well. I purchased a replacement input shaft, 10 spline, I forget the number of teeth but I confirmed it was the same number as the old input shaft. So....after getting the transmission back today I tried to get it installed but there seems to be like 3/8 of an inch between the bell housing and main case. Could there be two different length input shafts that are that close but identical in every other way? Or am I just doing something wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

My thought is it isn't sliding into the pilot bearing in the back of the crank ( center if flywheel ). Sometimes you have to fight it a little.

An old input shaft or clutch alignment tool will get it close but sometimes not perfect. I had it happen on the last one I did. Had to wiggle the transmission around a little to get it to drop in.

I'm sure you know this it will say it anyway. Do not try to pull it together by tightening the bolts. Try what others suggested with wiggling and pushing in the clutch but if it doesn't go in something is wrong. Since you don't have it all the way in it might be worth dropping it back down and measure that input shaft. If it is a 94/95 then that is your issue.

Thank you to everyone who offered help. After removing the bearing retainer and measuring the input shaft I realized I had the correct size. All it took was finely adjusting the transmission until it seated itself in the pilot bearing.

Reactions: 2 users