T5 Rebuild Pros

89redvert

May 31, 2003
Memphis
I have a world class T5 that I am rebuilding. I bought a rebuild kit from late model restoration and have a question. Are the outer blocker rings supposed to be lined? From looking at the old ones they are not. Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

They have made running upgrades to the rebuild kit over the years, so parts will look somewhat different from your stock components. Whatever comes in the kit is usually the latest and greatest that the market offers. Keep in mind that the T-5 was used for years after your '89, so the parts got better as technology improved and problems were solved, and most of those parts are backwards compatible, thus why they are in your rebuild kit.

The old ones had lining on them too (maybe not the same material/quite as thick) when they were new and it wears away over the miles. Thats what makes your tranny grind, the clutchlike material is no longer there "catch" the gears.

Edit: and thats also why you dont want to rapeshift 5th gear too often, as it is only a brass blocker ring.