t5 rebuild question

EXTRPR50

Founding Member
Oct 7, 1998
Hey guys, Im wanting to fix the syncro for 1st to second gear. I can get a synchro kit for 105.00 from D&D. Is this something I can do? I put in a shift kit in my 95 GT with the supplied video. I thought it was pretty easy.
Do they make a video for the synchro kit?
Thanx, its for a 93 coupe.

• Sponsors (?)

Those synchro kits only include the typical wear items such as the blocker rings.

The synchros unfortunately also include the speed gears and the synchro sliders. Those are not cheap. Usually when the trans begins to grind is when you should rebuild it. Th longer you go, the more damaged is caused to the dog teeth on the speed gear and the synchro slider. Those items are not found in a typical rebuild. You will need to inspect and replace them if necessary otherwise the trans will still grind. Both parts new OEM tremec are about $85 each. Aftermarkets can be found on ebay for about $35 each.

Anyway, the rebuild is very easy, i just wanted to make you aware that the $100 rebuild kit may not be the only parts you buy.

Also, def change the speedo gear to either a black 6-tooth or yellow 7-tooth while you are in there.

Rebuild manuals
http://pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-5_Service_Manual.pdf

unless your trans has been beaten hard and put away wet, you may be able to get away with a poor mans rebuild. just pick up a single sincro, or even a used one. All the t5's I take apart, i usually find sincro 1 and 3 are hardly worn. Nothing wrong with using a used syncro so long as you inspect it.

bearings last a long time, you can inspect and re use too. If you're lucky, you can get in there, and just swap in a syncro, and put it all back together re using everything else. Having said this, I've always used all new parts, but then again, I'm building trannies for my friends and other locals. However, when I nuke one myself racing, better damned believe I'm gonna dip into my used stash of parts.

It's not too much work (at least not after I've done it time and time again)....

just thought I'd mention it, because a rebuild kit quickly turns into a $250 rebuild kit (hanlon price)....along with a $75 second gear, and a $33 slider. $450 later, you're ready to go. I have YET to pull apart a t5 and have the second gear dog teeth not all ground to hell. I've replaced second every damned time I rip another one apart :( I have to replace the 1-2 slider about half the time.

be prepared to go all the way or "try" and bandaid it...you may be ok.

I've been able to "poor man's" fix a t-5 once...and that's only because we caught it right in the beginning when it started grinding into 2nd. The teeth were still ok but the lining on the blocker was worn.

$20 later..good as new.

I did check everything else in there though first to make sure i wouldn't need to change the 3rd gear blocker in 500 miles.

Ive rebuilt motors, done the machine work personally and pulled em and installed em. Im not sure about t-5's. I feel like Im going to do something and 20 parts will pop out of the case.
I will try it, mainly because I never have before and I want to learn, but where can I get a t-5 rebuild video, or a guide to show me step by step in newbie terms?

hanlon used to have them, but he ran out of tapes, and wanted to go to dvd, and is having a tough time getting his camera man in for a schedule.

there is one other dvd...forget who does it...

he's got an advertising clip on youtube. go there, and type in t5 rebuild, or whatever...you should find the clip, and the info needed to buy the video.

If you go to the first link i posted, it's a pretty good walkthrough.

I used it on my first t-5 and it was easy. You just need some good snap ring pliers and you should be all set. Most everything is held with roll pins and snap rings. It all assembles nicely. Easiest trans to rebuild.