t5 removal/replacement

andrw

Feb 1, 2003
new jersey
how hard is this to do? my trans finally went. clutch went limp today, check and the linkage appears to be pulling the level on the tranny, so i guess thats it. needed one anyway.

but how difficult is it to drop one and replace it, other then obvious tools and a 2 ton jack/jackstands, what do i need?

• Sponsors (?)

It's real easy, drain tranny fluid, pull the starter, driveshaft, boot and shifter, disconnect clutch cable, put a jack under it, remove the crossmember, remove 6 14mm bolts from the bellhousing/engine. Slide tranny back and drop it down. Remove clutch from flywheel, go have flywheel resurfaced, pull out old pilot bearing, put in new pilot bearing. When you buy the clutch make sure it comes w/ the new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch alignment tool. Throw it back together reverse of disassembly. Really quite easy. Having a buddy help you lift the new one back in makes it simple.

140cilx said:
It's real easy, drain tranny fluid, pull the starter, driveshaft, boot and shifter, disconnect clutch cable, put a jack under it, remove the crossmember, remove 6 14mm bolts from the bellhousing/engine. Slide tranny back and drop it down. Remove clutch from flywheel, go have flywheel resurfaced, pull out old pilot bearing, put in new pilot bearing. When you buy the clutch make sure it comes w/ the new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch alignment tool. Throw it back together reverse of disassembly. Really quite easy. Having a buddy help you lift the new one back in makes it simple.

I don't think anyone could have been more accurate. :nice:

sounds good but

i have put about 5 clutches in my car and one new tranny and it is fairly easy to do i will have to say though if u can get aholt to a lift and air tools use them only use the air tools when taking stuff off though and properly torque all the bolts down when ur puttin it back together also my belthousing bolts are 13's so i dunno my car is an 87 and everything is out of whack on it but do make sure u have lots of beer or smokage and be prepared to cuss ur car especially if ur layin on the ground wrestlin ur trans in and out

good luck

robbie

Didja check the stupid short cable on the tranny? That might be what it is.

exactly what I was thinking. my clutch went limp as you say and i just replaced the little cable for like 10 bucks. only took like 5 mins.

but I'm guessing you checked that already so in that case its not that hard to swap trannies.

IT's ez, the only thing that was a pain on mine was getting the bolts out from the bellhousing to the motor. They put 1/2 facing the motor and the rest the other way. The clutch is self adjusting; just put your pedal all the way down and let it back up. You should hear a clank sound ,and it's done. Make sure you get the flywheel turned, or you might fry your new cluch.
Have fun.