Drivetrain T5 To 4r70w

Knowbody

Sep 4, 2016
TEXAS
I just grabbed a 4R70W with converter, flexplate, driveshaft, and starter for cheap. Came from a theft salvaged low mileage 1998 V6 Mustang. Looking to swap this into my '91 Mustang and ditch the T5.

I know I'll need a controller for the trans, like a Baumann TCS, and I already have a shifter that will work. I'm not worried about trans internals, converter, upgrades, header clearance, etc. as that is all covered, but mostly about actual fitment to my car...

My questions are:

---Do I use a 5.0 AOD flexplate/block plate or the 3.8 V6 flex/block plates behind my 302 5.0?

---What starter?

---Will my 1991 T5 speedometer cable work with this trans?

---What driveshaft do I use? Do I have to modify the driveshaft?

---What trans mount works?

I've done some research when I first started looking at the 4R70W swap a few months back, but just recently picked up this transmission, so I'm asking these specific questions that pertain to my situation in hopes to get a more personal response. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, anyone have advice for the other concerns?

I've seen that the 164t flexplate needed, and either starter will work.

I see that Stifflers has a bolt in crossmember for this trans for $150

I've seen conflicting stories about the driveshaft length.

Yeah, I guess it's not a big deal. I've just heard some guys say their stock driveshaft fits without issue, some say they had to shorten it by an inch or so. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there, just trying to get everything sorted out beforehand so it will be a quick swap. Dropping the trans off next week for a rebuild/upgrade then it will sit under the workbench until it's time for swappage.

Thanks