T5Z wiring question for AOD swap

bcmbcmbcm

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jan 29, 2003
UPS freight delivered my T5Z from summit today. It came with one wire (well two wires to one connector to be specific) attached. Is this the reverse light wire?

What other wiring do I need?

All is now obsolete from Ford and I need an excuse to go to the boneyard but I don't want to waste my time, either if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

Brett

• Sponsors (?)

If i remember correctly from doing mine....there was only one elec. connection on the trans near the speedo......when i finished i was surprised to see my working reverse lights. I cant remember any other wiring besides the interior on the pedals. It really was an easy swap. Everyone kept warning me about how bad the pedal swap was ....but to be honest, I didnt think it was all THAT bad. I have to get under it in the next day or two....i'll double check and make sure....but i think thats the only wiring.

I tried to upload a pic...couldn't do it...see if you follow this...

I put the transmission on the ground with the passenger side on the ground, driver's side facing the sky, input shaft (front) on the left, tail shaft (rear) on the right.

There are two switches.

One is to the left (front) and on the TOP of the transmission

One is to the right (rear) and on the side (driver's side) of the transmission.

The switch on the side is the reverse light switch, right?

What is the one on the top? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I tried to upload a pic but it says the file is to big. I hope what I said makes sense.

Thanks again,

Brett

can the dummy light be hooked up to make a neutral light like a motorcycle?

The one up top is the shift dummy light switch dont worry about that one and yes the one on the side is the reverse light switch.

What exactly is the shift dummy light? Is it used on SN95 cars or something? Does it close the contacts in neutral? I think it would be cool to hook up a neutral light like a motorcycle if this switch/pigtail would do it.

I searched and searched last night and I found this:
"
- Cut the Neutral Safety Switch off of the AOD (plugs into to AOD and has 4 wires comming from it).
- 2 wires are for the reverse lights, and 2 are for the NSS.
- You need to connect the 2 reverse wires to the plug for the 5spd and the other 2 wires for the NSS are just connected together.
- You'll have to figure out which wires are for the reverse lights...I was lucky and the colors matched, so I pretty much just matched the same colored wires & everything worked.
"

I wouldn't mind saving $50 on a T5 Harness and I DONT want a clutch interlock switch. IMHO real cars allow starting in neutral without the clutch depressed and I heard (though I don't know if it is true) that starting in neutral without the clutch pressed saves wear on the clutch....

BUT......I want my cruise control to continue to function! This is criticalDoes patching into the AOD harness affect this? Please let me know!

Thanks!

Brett

the switch on top is called the neutral sensing switch(not to be confused with the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal).it's used by the eec when your doing keeo tests.you could leave it unplugged with no real consequences.i simply spliced into my factory aod harness when i put my t-5z in.