Tach,signal lights,blower heater

wvmailman

Sep 11, 2011
Ok guys, I have a 89 mustang lx. My question is I have no signal lights blower on the heater not working, and defroster not working. Checked all the basics, fuses,connections,so on. Also the tach quit working. Any help or know where I can find a diagram. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Some of the symptoms of ignition switch problems are things that don’t work or are intermittent like radio, turn signals, wipers or heater.

There was a FREE recall on Ford ignition switches. They overheat and sometimes catch fire. That burns up the steering column and sometimes the car interior. Since this is very old information, you may not be able to get the switch replaced for free anymore. The auto parts stores sell the switches for $13-$15.

Saleen0679 was nice enough to dig this up for us awhile back: Replace a 1979-1993 Ignition Switch Assembly

Free FORD OEM wiring Diagrams
PM me your email address and I will send you a complete Ford Factory 89 Mustang electrical diagram set. The zip file is 2.5 MB and is too big to fit through Stangnet's email gateway.

89 Mustang wiring diagrams zip package–

They are in a zip file format to reduce the size of the package. You’ll need WinZip or other Windows archive tool to extract them from the zip file. See www.majorgeeks.com - Download Freeware and Shareware Computer Utilities for a free download.

You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html - Adobe Reader download - All versions

Ok guys, I have a 89 mustang lx. My question is I have no signal lights blower on the heater not working, and defroster not working. Checked all the basics, fuses,connections,so on. Also the tach quit working. Any help or know where I can find a diagram. Thanks for the help.

I am 99.9% sure that it is your ignition switch. I changed mine a few months ago, and have changed them on other 5.0's and your symptoms are exactly the ones I had. I distrust these switches so much that I bought an extra when I bought my current stang, and sure enough several months later my signals and AC suddenly stopped working!

You can test this - with the car running and in neutral, turn on your blower and turning signal, then lightly move your key back in the ignition - without actually turning it off, sometimes it requires that you push inward a bit toward the column. Your blower (and turning signals for that matter) should turn on, confirming it's your ignition switch.

You will need a hollow star (torx?) driver for the switche's 2 screws. It is important that start the screws by hand, the column is aluminum and it is easy to strip the threads (don't ask how I know that...)

Start your car, put the signals and blower on, turn the key back towards you just a hair. If stuff starts workin, it's the switch. BS on 20 minute job!

Its only a handful of screws. You can get the torx screws out without removing anything more than the plastic around the steering column (2 screws) and the plastic dash directly under the steering column (only 2 more screws in my case). I held the torx bit in a pair of vise grips to break the screws loose that hold the ignition switch in, then turn the screws out by hand. It was very easy, and this way you don't need to remove any more of the dash to access the screws.

Joe

Some of the symptoms of ignition switch problems are things that don’t work or are intermittent like radio, turn signals, wipers or heater.

There was a FREE recall on Ford ignition switches. They overheat and sometimes catch fire. That burns up the steering column and sometimes the car interior. Since this is very old information, you may not be able to get the switch replaced for free anymore. The auto parts stores sell the switches for $13-$15.

Saleen0679 was nice enough to dig this up for us awhile back: Replace a 1979-1993 Ignition Switch Assembly

Free FORD OEM wiring Diagrams
PM me your email address and I will send you a complete Ford Factory 89 Mustang electrical diagram set. The zip file is 2.5 MB and is too big to fit through Stangnet's email gateway.

89 Mustang wiring diagrams zip package–

They are in a zip file format to reduce the size of the package. You’ll need WinZip or other Windows archive tool to extract them from the zip file. See www.majorgeeks.com - Download Freeware and Shareware Computer Utilities for a free download.

You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html - Adobe Reader download - All versions

Sorry to bring up a old post but jrichker do you buy anychance still have that zip file with all of the mustang electrical Diagrams ?? i could really use them

Thanks