Tach wire

cobraII

Founding Member
Feb 10, 2000
Mishawaka Indiana
I am running an msd 6al ignition and msd billett dist., I just picked up an msd 8920 tach adapter. I was looking at the instructions and need to hook into the trigger wire for the factory tach. Does anyone know which wire this is? I assume it is in the plugs for the old duraspark box.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

i am going to have the same issue in the not too distant future. according to an old haynes manual i have, it would be a red/light green wire and it is wired to the coil. i do remember quite a while ago that i tried to do something with a haynes manual and it was wrong, but hopefully it steers you(us) in the right direction. good luck!!

I jumped the white wire from the MSD 6AL to the green that used to go to the tach, when I crank it the needle jumps so I think I have the trigger. When the weather breaks here in northern Indiana I will hook up the adapter. I will keep you posted.

CHRIS

Yeah I'm having the same problem. I also have the MSD 6AL Ignition Module and the MSD Distributor and MSD Blaster 2 Coil. My car was at a performance shop getting a bunch of things welded on the car and I told them to hook up the stock tach and get it working. Well the tow truck towed my car back to my house and I started the car up to see if that tach was working and what do I see !!! The tach didn't work. Even after paying the people to get it working it didn't work. So I'd seriously like to know also. I guess that goes to show you not to pay anyone til you know the job is done correctly.

White wire to the spade connector on the 6al above the 2 wires for the distributor, black to ground, red to same switched source as the 6al, purple to the old green wire that went to the coil before the 6al was installed.

Chris