Technical Assistance Needed

FordGT2K

Sep 18, 2003
South Coast, MA
I would like to know if anyone out there has encountered an EVAP system leak on their 99-04 Mustang GT. I recently had my check engine light cleared and recieved that as my code (can't recall the exact number at this time). The repair manual basicly said that it could be anything from a loose gas cap to a small crack in the plastic hosing of the entire system. I get a lot of gas fumes in the cab of the car after each fill-up and notice strongest oder starting in the trunk just the other side for the fill nosel. Just to let everyone, in case it makes a difference, I live in the New England area. Any ideas or comments are welcome, I really need to get this problem fixed ASAP because I am 3 months behind on my emissions inspection and MA has just passed a law that allows the inspection station to charge an additional fine any past due inspections.

Thanks for you help!!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok where did you have the cel checked at? If it was a dealer or a shop why didnt you have them look at the system to find the leak. Sometimes its the charcoal canister, or the purge valve or both. It could also be a hole in a line or maybe not. There is no sure way of knowing without someone who knows what to look for look at it.

I'd get in there and check all your lines running up to the canister to be sure one didn't crack or get chafed.

Since you said it's in the trunk, I'd also look up under by where the fill tube is, and make sure there isn't a rust hole or something up there.