Engine Teksid Build Update....

So I've successfully gotten about 90% of my parts together and started assembling my teksid engine. Here's what I've got so far:
Teksid block standard bore
Termi crank
New manley termi rods
Mahle forged -16cc dish pistons
Clevite tri-compound rod main bearings
Arp main and side bolts.
New cobra oil pump
Mmr 7qt oil pan
Trick flow top end kit.
Slowly assembling after work. Should make some nice power with my ported eaton

• Sponsors (?)

Almost ready to fire back up. Did accidentally break dip stick tube trying to get it out of my iron block. Minor setbacks along the way. Transmission should be ready from Hanlon this week some time. Hoping for 550 at the tire now. See what happens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 243
What kind of RPM you going to be spinning the blower? The 4-valve guys spin the heck out of them to just barely get 500 rwhp. 500 on the tires with a M112 on a 2-valve would certainly be impressive. I personally don't see it happening, but I might be underestimating the Trickflow heads.

Yea, that's almost 16,000 RPM. Spinning it much harder is really starting to get it out of its efficiency range.

What were the specs on your old head and cam setup? 480 rwhp at 16,000 RPM blower speed is 4-valve numbers. Ever get any track runs at that power level?

Still on the hunt for 500. 488&491 pulls back to back. Next move throttle body plenum dual pass exchanger. Heads and cams significantly lowered boost pressure in manifold. 12.25lbs with a 2.80" pulley but iat not bad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 186
From looking at the dyno post in the other thread, it looks like your peak torque is WAY up there around 5000 rpm. How does that compare with your previous dyno graphs? Even with stage 2 blower cams on my Eaton setup, peak torque is down around 3500 rpm.

Also, do you know what the SAE corrected numbers are?

Yea, no offense meant at all, but the results of your Trickflow head install is the reason I make comments like I did a couple weeks ago in another thread (on whether or not TF heads are worth it).

No, they're not. I've never understood the fad with them. Are they cool and able to make big power? Sure, absolutely. Do they make any more power than decently ported PIs across 90% of the powerband? Nope. Nick McKinney did some articles on them a while ago (not sure if they're still around or not), and pretty much said that unless you were making 600+ horsepower or turning well over 7000 RPM, they were a waste of good money and likely to lose power lower in the RPM range.

Your car is a great comparison, because everything else remained exactly the same, including the blower speed. So you have the same amount of air that we are attempting to force through the motor (as per the blower giving a set air displacement relative to the engine displacement, at all engine speeds), and we are able to see whether or not the Trickflow heads are efficient at doing that or not. Your results are certainly not great (as I'm sure you're aware of and disappointed in):

2000 rpm: -40 ft-lbs
2500 rpm: -40 ft-lbs
3000 rpm: -35 ft-lbs
3500 rpm: -35 ft-lbs
4000 rpm: -20 ft-lbs
4500 rpm: same
5000 rpm: +10 ft-lbs
5500 rpm: +35 ft-lbs
6000 rpm: +45 ft-lbs

So it lost BIG power from idle to 4000 rpm, and only picked up significant power from 5500 rpm up. And that's versus stock PI heads; with ported PI heads, I'd bet the Trickflow differences down low would still be about the same, but the ported PIs would probably keep up until more like 6000 rpm, and then start falling off in comparison. What's really striking to me is that your boost pressure dropped significantly, indicating that the heads/cams are much more efficient at physically getting the air in and out of the cylinder, but your power went down, which indicates that that air getting into the cylinders isn't burning as efficiently, or at least not at lower rpm. Whether that's caused by the air/fuel mixture not mixing properly, or the flame front not travelling properly, or maybe lots of fresh air escaping out the exhaust valve during overlap, I have no idea. Wish I did.

That's not to say that the Trickflows are bad heads. I'm sure that if you crammed 20+ pounds of efficient boost through them, they'd certainly perform better than PI heads with 20 pounds of boost through them. I bet that even with the Heaton completely out of breath, the ideal shift point (based solely on the dyno graph and ignoring valvetrain or motor limitations) would still probably be 7000 rpm. With a better blower or turbo, the ideal shift point would probably be 7500+. And in an all-out drag race, with a powerband that high (5000-7500), it would likely outperform a powerband of similar width at a lower rpm (3500-6000).

But for normal use on the street, there's no way I could every justify using them with as much as they cost. A set of ported PIs are half the cost, and offer nearly as good performance (or better in a lot of areas). My opinion is that the real intended use for the Trickflows are the hardcore drag racers who are willing to spend a lot of money to get every single remaining horsepower out of a setup at a LOT of horsepower or rpm.

I absolutely agree with you. The reason I chose them was cost comparison. $1700 for a a good set of ported pi heads plus spring upgrades plus new cams and other replaced parts put cost up around $2500. Trick flow heads and cams were $3300 everything new supposedly super efficient. See what happens a when I get the tvs this summer