Fox Temperature Gauge Cluster Gauge Not Working...

Undeadknight26

May 19, 2013
Florida
Alright so, I've been tinkering with my car for a while now and noticed that the gauge cluster no longer tells the temperature of the engine. Its a 2.3T engine, I just replaced a Temperature Sending Unit and nothing changed it still doesn't show the temperature. So what are some possible solutions to this before I slap in a separate gauge for it?

• Sponsors (?)

Ground the single wire for the temp sender on the engine, then turn the ignition switch to Run. The gauge should peg towards the high temp end of the scale.

If it does not, then you have a wiring or gauge problem.

Reactions: 1 user
I grounded the single wire for the temp sender on the engine and turned the ignition to run and the gauge went all the way up and then took it off and it went back down and put it back on and went back up etc. So it's not a wiring or gauge problem? Maybe I just need to leave the car on for longer than 5 minutes to check the temp?

5 minutes isn't enough time for the engine to reach a point to register. Glad you solved your problem. Jrichker saves the day again. :nice:

Alright thanks! Will keep you guys updated! Also my 2.3 is having a weird idle on it. Like it'll be at around 1000 rpm then slowly go up to 1500 then drop back down to 700 and then go back to 1000 then go all the way up to 2000 and some smoke coming out of the engine bay.

Remove the iac (idle air control) valve from the throttle body and clean the mechanical portion of it (where the valve assembly is located) with carb cleaner.If you seperate the two parts,it will allow you to push the valve back & forth and twist the valve to dislodge any residual carbon buildup.Make sure it moves smoothly as you push it back & forth.Let it air dry or blow it dry with an air compressor before reinstallation.If the throttle body is dirty,it should be cleaned also.If a label is attached stating to not clean it,use a rag only and no carb cleaner.
If the idle surge is still present after cleaning,try doing a base idle reset and if that fails to solve the issue,follow the link below.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/help-me-create-the-surging-idle-checklist.698148/

Last edited: