Test drove Cobra... Is stock shifter a short throw?

Stangnut

Mar 24, 2003
Dothan, AL
My God, I'm in love!!!!!!!!!!
One of the local ford dealers had a used '04 Cobra with 6K miles on his lot, so I HAD to drive it!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They wanted too much for it so I'll just have to keep dreaming, but one thing I noticed was how easy it was to get it into 3rd gear. The throw seemed a little shorter than my '03 GT, but not much. It was hard to tell since I have the MGW shifter handle and it's pointed straight back.
Anyway, I was amazed at the 3rd gear! I don't think I could've missed a shift even if I tried!

If that was a Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0, sign me up!!!!! (of course the dealer had no idea) The only thing the previous owner did to the car, that I could tell was tint the windows. He may have had underdrive pulleys because the A/C sucked really bad. I wasn't sure how to tell if they were just by looking at them.
Otherwise the car appeared stock.

Jason

I test drove a hold over 2003 10 Anni Vert about a month ago thinking I might want to move up from my GT and asside from the crazy power and better feeling of everything the feeling of the shifter stood out the most. I'm hoping putting a TriAx in mine will give me that feeling but I haven't had a chance to try it.

The dealership wouldn't go below 36000 for a holdover 03 why can't I have a decent SVT dealership around here .

How much did they want for the used one if you don't mind me asking.

So you're saying the shifter felt a lot better than a stock GT and the Cobra I drove was probably stock?

They had $33K on the window, but I think they would do $32K. It had 6K miles, so I don't think it was a that good of a deal. Plus, like I said, the A/C didn't even work. BTW, this wasn't an SVT dealer. Closest one is about 100 miles away.

Jason

i'm still wonderin' what all the talk about missing 3'rd gear is? I never drove
a stick before having my new cobra, and I don't think getting into 3'rd is all
that hard, I've never missed it. Now going from 3'rd to 4'th I have missed a couple times. I was told to get into 3'rd from 2'nd easily, just take
the palm of your hand and push straight up and it will lock right into 3'rd.
It's a piece of cake. Also, I don't have anything to compare to, but I
think the stock shifter is pretty good. If they say the pro 5.0 is so much
better, I can't wait to install it. just ordered it last night with the UPR trick
stick handle.

Guys, around there is a redfire 2003 Cobra leftover; the dealer is asking 28k brand new. There is also a leftover 2003 anniversary for 29k. Way too much where you're looking! I'll pick it up and transport it for a small fee

doogz said:
Guys, around there is a redfire 2003 Cobra leftover; the dealer is asking 28k brand new. There is also a leftover 2003 anniversary for 29k. Way too much where you're looking! I'll pick it up and transport it for a small fee
They came down to 31K over the phone today.
I'm sure I could get them down to 30K with my checkbook out, but I still think it's only an OK deal, nothing special. My GT will be paid off in 1 1/2 years, so I think I'll wait. Man it sure is tempting though. I think if it were Screaming Yellow, it'd be a lot harder decision.

Jason

I paid 29k and change for a "used" 2003 10th ann cobra (it only had 2400 miles on it)... That price is WAY too high.. the stock shifters on the cobra suck big time, so if you liked that, just wait till you try one with a short throw on it... (I went the steeda triax route, and its worth it...)