Testimonial for el-cheapo sparkplugs!

xr8d302

I bought a 27" monitor to compensate for my lack o
Apr 29, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Champion Spark Plugs = wow. Never thought I'd say that.

For the past while, my car's been severely down on power, hesistating and bucking, the shifter shook like hell when leaving lights, and otherwise, i thought everything was going down hill with sensors and whatnot

Yesterday I pulled out the Bosch Platinum 4's (which were in slight disrepair) and threw in an el cheapo set of Champion Copper sparkplugs....

Result - all of my power's returned, shifter doesn't shake from a stop (this was probably due to the hesitation and lack of power) and there's no more hesitation through any of the gears. I also now remember how fun my 4.10's are....traction ain't easy!

For any newbs out there who might be looking at buying "the best" for their cars, heed my advice, GO CHEAP ON SPARKPLUGS, you'll thank me later

• Sponsors (?)

Anything I have ever seen run bosch plugs has run like crap v. an autolite/motorcraft/acdelco/ect.

buddy of mine at the track one night put in some new bosch plugs and from his time with plugs that were several years old was .3 or something slower in the quarter. Put the old plugs back in and picked the .3 right back the next pass.

wytstang said:
It has nothing to do with Champion plugs as any single prong would work well. Thats my .02 you silly canadian.........

:D I haven't been called a silly canadian in a while now!

It wasn't really a prop for Champion, but it was a definite happy moment for me when ALL of my performance problems went away with 15 bucks worth of maintenance items

:banana:

I know a guy that uses Motorcraft (Autolite) plugs in all of his Chevy's. Says they won't run "right" on anything else. I told him that now, to get them to run REALLY "right", he should get some Ford engines to screw all those plugs into.

Annealed copper conducts much better than platinum. It's kinda like the difference in sticky, performance tires and cheapo brick tires (the rubber is as hard as a brick).

The perf tires will work much better but will degrade faster (as copper plugs do with respect to gap erosion). The cheapo brick tires will last forever but the car will handle like crap (plat doesnt conduct as well because it's super hard, but it lasts forever).

Good call with the plugs. I like Autolites and run 24's.

For future searchers, if someone has a high speed miss at around 4K RPM or a slightly goofy idle, and they run Plats, try copper plugs. Both symptoms above can result from Plats.

Now go enjoy Aaron!

I'd agree with Ben - applications calling for Plats from the factory should get them. The ignitions were made for the higher resistance (often DCI's, etc).

I have upon occasion run coppers in Plat-spec cars (if I could access the plugs decently - a PITA plug-change would be my reason for running Plats if they were spec'd) and noticed no ill-effects from that (unlike using plats where copper is called for).

I'm really suprised that I actually hadn't done that earlier, but it just never crossed my mind that sparkplugs could make that much of a difference. My car sounds different (much healthier) and runs like a top (minus the exhaust leak).

Power gains...wow, I'm scared of my car again! :nice:

reddy351 said:
I know a guy that uses Motorcraft (Autolite) plugs in all of his Chevy's. Says they won't run "right" on anything else. I told him that now, to get them to run REALLY "right", he should get some Ford engines to screw all those plugs into.

My uncle is the same. He ONLY runs Motorcraft plugs in his BB 454 Chevelle. At first, I thought it was because he works for Ford & gets them cheap or free. Nope. He swears by them ...... saying they're the best. That's enough for me.

Motorcraft/Autolite here, too. Side-gapped & indexed.

Have run Autolite 764's for a while, then 103's on a 150 shot (colder) and now I have NGK TR6's (Advance only had 5 103's in stock WTF??) and the TR6's are just as good. If anything it seems to run a tad better, but that is more likely due to the new wires.....

yah, I've got some wires on order as well, since a plug boot on my MSD's got burnt from one of the headers...hopefully I'll find even a little more power in that, since i'm sure there's some sort of loss with that plug boot being burnt