• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Testing gauges

  • Thread starter Thread starter afterglow
  • Start date Start date Feb 26, 2008
A

afterglow

Member
Jul 2, 2006
89
0
6
Feb 26, 2008
#1
  • Feb 26, 2008
  • #1
I'm looking for some help troubleshooting my instrument gauges in my 69 Mach 1. They're either dead or don't seem to be reading right.....I simply can't trust them until I know for sure they're working properly. I have two complete sets of gauges and my current method involves swapping gauges between the two sets. I have a new circuit board and regulator and the lights on the gauges work fine.

Can anyone help me with a step-by-step on how to test to find out where the problem is?? Pictures would help A LOT since I'm not quite sure where the senders are. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a third set of gauges to solve the problem....
 

jikelly

20+ Year Stangneter
Jul 9, 2003
872
53
99
Lubbock Tx
Feb 27, 2008
#2
  • Feb 27, 2008
  • #2
Well, I would think you need to

1, Check your connections to your sending units. The water should be on top of you intake manifold somewhere, your oil sender is near your fuel pump in the block (it looks kinda like an metal acorn) Your voltage gauge or amp meter just connects into the wiring harness under your dash.

2. Check your voltage levels coming into you gauges. The first thing I thought of was probably your voltage regulator was not working correctly, but since you say you have a new one, install it and then check to see what voltage it is providing.

3. Check your gauge wiring and grounds. In fact make sure your battery's negative terminal is properly grounded to the block/frame still. Corrosion in the cable can lead to a poor ground.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Electrical Fuel Gauge...Help! What did I do or Didn't Do?
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
174
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 3, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
K
Electrical 2000 GT Intermittent Engine Shutdown In Motion - DTC U1262
  • kenster1092
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
278
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 24, 2026
squeak93
T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
162
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
T
Progress Thread 2002 Mustang 3.8L CV
  • TheIncompetentMechanic
  • May 26, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
131
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 1, 2026
TheIncompetentMechanic
T
L
Car has been overheating. Not sure what is causing it. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Luckysgirl
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
201
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 2, 2026
Luckysgirl
L
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?