Thank God we drive 5.0 liter V-8's!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

My work truck has recently developed a gas leak. Nothing like looking at a $7 puddle every morning. I will finally get a chance to look at it tommarrow, but all this week I keep it under a 1/4 tank then yesterday I was kickin myself when prices jumped sky high.

Yah, gas prices really blow right now. But, I just paid off the loan a couple months ago and am not going to get another car just to save a few bucks on gas every month. I'm just going to keep doing the regular maintance and upkeep on the Stang and live with the 5.0 power while all these people that are scared of gas prices panic and spend money on newer efficient cars with full coverage insurance for the next 3-5yrs. Okay, let's say they don't get a new car and instead they buy slightly used cars and pay cash. There is still upkeep and insurance and registration to pay for on another car. This doesn't make sense when you are trying to beat the gas prices. The cost of another or switching to another vehicle is going to be more than the savings on gas expenses. And, they will have a weaker "not as fun to drive" car to boot.

Canadian Prices for gas

I went out yesterday morning only to see $1.02 per litre now a US gallon is 3.8L so 1.02 x 3.8 is $3.87 Can for a US gallon of gas. Figure our canadian peso is about 78 cents US appox so I think we're paying $2.96 US for a gallon of 87 octane. So its not any better in canada either. Showing my age here I remember gas at 48 cents an imperial gallon!

Mustangless said:
I think something bad is about to happen. People are going to stop going places and buying stuff and the economey(sp) is going to be hurting.I am not a economist or anything but thats just what I think.

OT
thats only a small piece compare to the chain of events if or when the economy crashes. i'll try to keep it short but will most likely be long. i no expert either but you don't need to be if you just look at it with some common sense. example the crazy real estate boom thats going on just about every where. more in some places that others. her in northern NJ it ridiculous but anyway. with all the new purchases of course the next year the taxes get re adjusted to the price the home was just purchaed at the previous year. plus the crazy taxes you would pay for a new home if you purchased a newly built one. now for the last couple of years towns have become you can say rich with all the income thsy get from all the new taxes.
(around me a new home, the taxes can be any where from 12k to 18k. thats right 12 thousand a year just for taxes on what we call a cookie cutter home)
now what you're say has already started to happen slowly. i can go to the mall right now and it's not even crowded. you can walk around and there will be a hand full of stores closed or ready to close. so just like you said gas goes up, people drive less. people don't go to mall or stores due to the higher gas, the higher cost of living. now the smaller stores have to close the biger store or corporations down size. alot of people are laid off. now people can't make car payments, or their $2,000 a month mortgage, can't pay the property taxes. it will come to a point where people will most likely have to walk away from their homes. this is where local goverments like town and city and banks start to be effected. then they start to down size. even more jobs are lost due to the fact towns and banks are all dependent on this real estate craze and this increase of income from taxes and loans. when that point comes that peole can't afford to pay for these on a large scale. **** is going to go down hill quick.
and we have what like 3 more years of this idiot in office. he will squeeze every last drop out of this country and leave nothing for the future of this country. but he will be set for the rest of his life. :nonono:

i can go on & on i've been thinking about this for a while now. and the statement that i quoted above just got me started. i had to to let some out and glad that other are begining to see this too.
an sorry to get off topic.

I haven't seen any change in anything around here yet. Tulsa used to be the cheapest place in the United States to get gas. I remember one point when I was 16 (8 years ago), paying .84 a gallon for regular. I had an 84 300ZX at the time, and it cost about 15 bucks to fill it up. Tulsa is no longer the cheapest (Southern Missouri). Now the gas here is $2.39 for regular which is still cheaper than a lot of places, but still a lot more than the people are used to. There's still traffic jams around all the malls/shopping centers every weekend, and there are still SUV's at every gas pump (including my Expy). People in Oklahoma are used to driving everywhere. We never really got into the public transportation system, so driving a couple hundred miles a day isn't a big thing. Right now it is costing between $55-65 to fill the tank in our Expedition, which gets 13 mpg. If the price of gas around here ever sees $3.00+ ($90+ a tank for a big SUV), I can see gas stations exploding in the middle of the night (bombs left in the trash cans between the pumps). That just isn't going to fly. Especially considering that most Oklahomans live in rural communities, and commute up to 200 miles a day to get to work/college. Something has to give eventually. If it costs you more to commute to work, and pack a lunch than you are making in wages, are you going to go? It's not like they can just sell their house, and move into the city either. No one is going to buy a house that is 45+ miles from the main economic areas, and put themselves in the same boat.
Brandon

donkey_punch said:
blowing up the gas that we do have is not a good idea.

I won't be taking any part in it believe me, but the United States Government has ignored the issue from the start, and they will continue doing so until the people of this country find some form of putting their collective foot down in an attempt to show that we have had all we can take. People are going to start looking for the way to do that. The "don't buy gas on this day" crap that they try in Cali all the time won't work, because even if people don't buy it that day, which they will, they would still fill up the next day. Me personally, sure I would like to pay less for gas, but the University that I am attending right now is about 2 miles away from my house, and my wife drives the Expy 32 miles round trip to work and back, so gas costs us about $7 a day as far as our daily commutes. It could be a lot worse, and is for most people. The bad thing about it for me is the fact that all of my toys run on gas. I've left my boat sitting in the backyard all year because by the time I fill it up ($40), and pull it to the lake, and back ($30 in the Expy), I will have spent $70+ in gas alone, and that's good for half a day. I don't even want to talk about what the stations on the lake charge, if I wanted to fill up again. I have a 71 F-100 that I have been working on, but I'm starting to wonder how much I will even be able to drive it once I'm done. Atleast my quad can go a whole day on $20, or so I guess.