The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

That's what my setup was way back when. I ended up changing when I ran across something that hinted at the air cleaner size being a restriction if it's too small. That's how I ended up with the larger filter AND the filter style top, to help eliminate any restriction it may or may not cause. I don't know if this is what I come across or not, but doing the math it matches what I've done with my car - 14x2 filter with the filter top is more than enough filter area. A 14x2 filter element is just right by my numbers.

Now, that all being said, there's really nothing wrong with using the small filter. It may not give you max HP at WOT and you may need to change/clean it more often, but it's better than no filter at all. :)

• Sponsors (?)

That's what my setup was way back when. I ended up changing when I ran across something that hinted at the air cleaner size being a restriction if it's too small. That's how I ended up with the larger filter AND the filter style top, to help eliminate any restriction it may or may not cause. I don't know if this is what I come across or not, but doing the math it matches what I've done with my car - 14x2 filter with the filter top is more than enough filter area. A 14x2 filter element is just right by my numbers.

Now, that all being said, there's really nothing wrong with using the small filter. It may not give you max HP at WOT and you may need to change/clean it more often, but it's better than no filter at all. :)
I actually used that formula. Basically for my combo, a 14" with a tall filter or a 6 3/8" with a tall filter were the two best of the myriad of options Summit had in my budget. Blew my mind that a 9-10" air cleaner with a 1.5" element was way more restrictive than what I went with.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
Just did a quick Ebay search for an old Fox scoop. All I can say is DAYUMMMM!!

I think someone has had too many..... :kmcoff:
Dang! Especially for a pre cut one, it seems like the rest of the hood should be included at that price.

So... my FauxPro died and won't take a charge, otherwise I'd have video of a burnout and taking my girlfriend for her first ride in ESP/HRL2.

The good:
-She loved it.
-The rusty ol' thing ran amazing and has no drivability issues.
-I went for gold and ran her all the way to the 6200rpm chip and the carburetor kept the ol' pushrod mill fed all the way.

The bad:
-The radiator sprung a leak. I guess it was due, I originally installed it in my '76 II back in 2009.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
Today's update:

I was off from the BMW dealership today, and didn't work on the Mustang.

What I haven't told you is that there are more project cars in my life now than ever. When I met my girlfriend, she had a Dodge Dart that wasn't super reliable, had been stolen and recovered, and she just didn't like/trust it anymore. She sold it and bought a buddy of mine's 1999 Ranger to be her new daily. While reliable as hell, it's still a 23-year-old truck with over 200,000 miles, so it's needed a little work. So far I've put all new front suspension on it, new rear shocks, upgraded the stereo system to an Android Auto touchscreen headunit with a little 200-watt amp I've had since high school and a Rockford Fosgate subwoofer I was able to pick up for $50. I've also put a backup camera on it, larger mirrors, turned the rotors, and the girlfriend herself installed a chrome grille she picked out to replace the painted factory grille that had faded. Plans for the near future include a timing belt, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and a transmission fluid and filter change. Long term plans include window tint and a toolbox for the bed.

Today, we went and picked up the latest project, her late mom's 1996 Toyota Avalon. It runs and drives, but it knocks and smokes while running, meaning it probably needs a new engine. We'll be fixing that one up as either backup transportation or to flip for money later on (or we'll flip the Ranger and keep the Avalon, it's totally her decision, they're both hers, I'm just the mechanical labor).

Reactions: 2 users
So this is the thread you were looking for. Anyway I kind of sped read and you plan on putting the 4.6 in the II? Cool project. Looks like a labor of love.

I had a Cobra II in High School. There were l three in my HS parking lot. Two 76's and my 78. Mine was the billboard Cobra. There were actually two of them in my town for sale by a guy who flipped cars, one V6 and one V8. My dad didn't want me to have the V8 so I got the 6er. The guy who bought the other painted his solid black.

Two weeks later I got in a wreck when a chick pulled out in front of me on Christmas Day in 1982 and while it was being repaired the shop had a 302 out of a Gran Torino they swapped into it for $350. Crazy, right? My dad didn't know. Heck it's been close to 40 years and I don't think I ever told him.

Stay with it. Should be a nice one when it's finished.

Reactions: 2 users
So this is the thread you were looking for. Anyway I kind of sped read and you plan on putting the 4.6 in the II? Cool project. Looks like a labor of love.
Yep, this is my build thread. Thanks for the help in getting it un-deleted.

The current plan is to put a 4.6 in it, a 4V from a Mark VIII. It was going to go Coyote, but I picked up the low miles 4V for $200 and a turbo from another notorious project car on the site for less than that, and that became the new plan since it would have similar "wow-factor", power, and modern drivability at a much smaller budget. (Not to mention the 4v just looks so much sexier than the 'yote.)

In the meantime, the old 302 is getting some love because of budget constraints brought on by my new living situation and other considerations.

Reactions: 1 users
So... when I ordered the hood scoop, I paid a little extra to get it here by yesterday...

As of 7pm yesterday, it was still "on time" for delivery by 9pm yesterday... even though its last scan was in Sierra Blanca, Texas, over 8 hours away by truck and still at least 2 hours by plane.

Today it shows up as still freaking there and "delayed". The ETA for free shipping was tomorrow or the next day, which is what it looks like I paid extra for anyway.

I hate FedEx.

• Sad
As I was reading I thought "It's gotta be FedEx..." Needless to say I was shocked to find out that I was right! :rolleyes:

Hopefully they actually deliver it for you! I had the same thing happen and waited for a while before I just switched my delivery method to pick up at a local drop location. Amazingly it arrived there the next day.... :shrug:

FedEx is about useless. Hope you can get the extra money refunded by someone!

As I was reading I thought "It's gotta be FedEx..." Needless to say I was shocked to find out that I was right! :rolleyes:

Hopefully they actually deliver it for you! I had the same thing happen and waited for a while before I just switched my delivery method to pick up at a local drop location. Amazingly it arrived there the next day.... :shrug:

FedEx is about useless. Hope you can get the extra money refunded by someone!
Now, instead of coming pretty much straight west via US190, it went up to Dallas via Interstate 10... so it's closer, but that's still three hours away by truck.

1643811207288.png

I think it's actually the front side. :shrug:

IMG_20220202_175006462.jpg

I swear, if we don't get some business soon, I'm going to max out my credit cards playing with this thing.

Now you can see how much of a bigger hole you can cut in your hood to accommodate a larger air cleaner. :)

And it brings back some memories! That's the scoop I used on my old coupe, although I had an actual Ford piece. The front of the scoop is opened up more on the original design vs what you've got. Is the scoop grill large enough to do that or are you stuck with what it is currently?

Now you can see how much of a bigger hole you can cut in your hood to accommodate a larger air cleaner. :)

And it brings back some memories! That's the scoop I used on my old coupe, although I had an actual Ford piece. The front of the scoop is opened up more on the original design vs what you've got. Is the scoop grill large enough to do that or are you stuck with what it is currently?
I don't know. The II is locked in the shop. We got iced in pretty bad today (for us), and the only two with four-wheel-drive are me and the service manager, so no point in opening up.