The Ultimate Tire Thread

Which new tire should I buy???

• Total voters

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
So as I'm airing up one of my flat OE Goodyear Factory front tires that have 38,000 k on them and a slow leak that is slowly becoming a fast leak and no tread left on my 2001 GT with my trusty emergency road side plug into cigarette lighter air pump this morning, (*pause*) I had a thought. Breakfast. Then as I'm at my office eating my Quaker Oats Chew Granola Bar I had another thought...

Why don't I buy a couple or 4 tires? :shrug:

All good in theory, but it is a very problematic problem. I need help deciding. So first off I will mention the tires that I will NOT be buying...

I bought 2 Kumho Ecstas for this very car a year ago and they're already almost gone. 400 treadwear- I THINK NOT~!

Will NEVER Buy Again:
Kumho
General
Bridgestone Potenza

Please note that tire makers inflate (no pun intended) their TREADWEAR #'s (ie KUMHO)

Thinking About:
$88 Sumitomo HTR 360 AA A (Had Sumitomo on the wife's old car- lasted forever)
$108 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport 340 AA A
$142 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 400 AA A (Can only afford 2)
$105 Continental ContiExtremeContact 400 AA A

Also if you don't mind, please list another choice in my price range. I just bought a house, I have a child on the way... Thank you :)

stuff004.jpg

And here is a picture just make this thread a little more interesting.

View attachment 391153

• Sponsors (?)

kuhmos i had one the 86 gt with 3.73s and then another set on my 450hp LT1 held up damn good.. i had the 86 for a long time, only had those set of tires on.. no telling why you had to replace them so early. I run there road ventures 31/10.5/15 on my ranger.. and they've held up good.. :shrug: either way, go BFgoodrich

Never go wrong with BFGOODRICH! I'm running a Hankook tire now and my fox and they ride great. I would suggest them because they are on the cheaper side also. Hankook Ventus something, can't quite remember. In the local mustang club I'm in most of the people are running the same tire and they DD their mustang.

Never go wrong with BFGOODRICH! I'm running a Hankook tire now and my fox and they ride great. I would suggest them because they are on the cheaper side also. Hankook Ventus something, can't quite remember. In the local mustang club I'm in most of the people are running the same drive and they DD their mustang.

Hankook Ventus HRII sound familiar?? Friend of mine with a 96gt has a set and loves them...just wondering how well they work on a fox. Treadwear? Noise?

If you don't drive in the snow, get the BFG KDW... not the KDWS. The S is there for snow rating. I am very pleased with my KDW tires. On a side note, the tire manufacturer rates their tires for tread wear and traction... take their opinions lightly.

I got 71000 out of the B F Goodriches rain tires on my 97 Thunderbird, thought they were great, till some lady totalled it for me! As a daily driver in Chicago, thats some tough conditions for a set, the belts went away before the tread. I think they were out of warantee, though!

So what's the most important issue here? Stickiness or long treadwear?

Cooper Cobras then. They will probably outlive your damned car and perform really well on the street. They are however, lacking in the launch department. Not REALLY lacking but the installation of the Kenne Bell really showed me where the weakness was. On the stock motor, no complaints at all.