Thinkin bout getting my first bike. Suggestions wanted:

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
I’m considering getting a bike mostly to cruise the New England back roads with my girlfriend (her as passenger). Plus I’m tired of seeing her drool every time we see a bike. I don’t know how to ride at all (I don’t think riding my friends dirt bike a couple times 20 years ago counts, since I don’t even remember how to shift.)

First and foremost, I don’t want to die. Secondly, I want something big and comfortable enough to take long day trips. Price wise, I’d like to stay below $7,000.

Advice on type of bike and best way to learn appreciated.
Thanks
Svend

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like you'd be right in line for a cruiser-style bike. Cruisers are very popular right now and you should have no problem finding a good used bike for under $7,000. Start by reading some of the bike mags that cater to what's called "metric" cruisers. Those are Japanese V-twins and are very high quality bikes and great for learning. They typically have a low seat height, are comfy and have very smooth and easy to use power. That's important since taking off from a stoplight with a passenger can be tricky at first. I've always been partial to Yamahas, but Honda makes great bikes, too but keep an open mind when shopping and remember there are a ton of good bikes out there, so be picky. I also don't want to sound preachy, but when you do find a bike, don't get in a hurry to carry passengers. Learn to ride solo first, it's illegal to carry passengers with only a learing permit in California anyway, but it's so important to practice before taking a loved one's life in your hands. Also, unlike a car, a bike passenger CAN control a bikes steering in a bad way if they don't understand how to be a good passenger. Leaning into corners can be unsettling for new passengers, and if they choose to sit up straight (usually in mid-corner) the bike will want to go straight as well, which could easily be into the other lane! But bikes are great, and I often wish I still had one, so do some research, take an MSF course and have fun. Also, don't hesitate to ask any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer what I can.

I just placed an order for a new Harley. You can actually get a real Harley for about 7K without having to settle for one of the imitation look-alike/want-a-be Japanese versions. Best of all they NEVER lose their value. Let me know if you get one, maybe we could go out riding as I look for the same New England rides.

:nice:

I'll check with the DMV to see what they offer for MSF courses, but I assume I need to have a bike first. I was going to avoid Harleys, primarily due to price, but I may reconsider that one. I'm 6'3" tall so I don't suspect seat height will be an issue. My girlfriend on the other hand is only 4'11" (but that's not relevant, is it?). Is there anything specifically (outside of the obvious mechanical condition) I should be looking for (or avoiding) when checking out a bike?

In my neck of the woods there are several people who offer riding classes that last several weeks and even provide a bike for the class. You might call the regular driving schools and see if they know of any.

I've had both, cruisers (not a harley...yet) and the "crotch rockets." (of which I will be getting another one next month). The cruisers are great for what you plan on doing. I personally would go with a honda or yamaha the hondas (Shadows) are shaft driven which cuts down on maintenance and it is just plain smoother. The rockets are a blast to ride but arent as easy to handle for newbies and are not comfortable for very long rides.

You sound like a 650ish size kind of guy. Light weight enough to handle for the inexperienced but with enough power to make your girl hold on to you REAL tight. My suggestion is to learn on a smaller bike like a 125cc, then when you are confident enough, take the test on it and gradually move up.

chepsk8 said:
I've been riding Honda Nighthawks for 25 years, owned three so far, all 650's. Great riding, reliable, easy to learn on, comfy.

Like Realmongo, there's a Harley soon in my future.

Over the years I have had 2 Yamahas, 2 Suzukis, 2 Kawasakis and 2 Hondas. I finally made it to Harley status with the Dyna SuperGlide, but Suzi took that away with her after the divorce. So I will have to make due with the Sportster I just ordered.

:D

Ok, enough of the "which brand is best" stuff, if you're buying used, it sometimes takes a little more detective work to uncover the bike's true history, and past treatment. Things to look for include tire wear: if a rider buys premium tires, he's also likely to have changed the oil regularly. This is important, since bike clutches run in the engine oil and when they wear, the clutch material has to go somewhere. Also, check the ends of the bars and levers for evidence of being dropped in the past. A driveway tip-over is no big deal, but a crash on a heavy bike can leave the forks bent or at least out of alignment, which will cause goofy handling. Look at the fork seals for signs of leaks. Modern forks are virtually bullet-proof, but wheelies and/or pitted fork legs will cause leaks and are a bit spendy to fix. Try to buy a fuel-injected bike instead of an older carb-equipped bike, for the same reason FI cars are better, they start immediately, idle nicely and are easier to live with. They also deal with winter storage much better than carb bikes. All of the bikes made in the past 15 years are excellent bikes. They all have great brakes, powerful, reliable engines and last much longer than the riders, in most cases, so it's purely a matter of finding a bike you like and that has the best dealer in your area. Also, I don't want to offend anyone who has offered advice before, but I feel there is more to it than has been previously said: "Harleys never lose value" Not quite. Every new vehicle ever produced loses value as soon as you buy it. Check ebay and you'll find bikes only a few months old for a fraction of new prices of all brands, yes even Harleys. As for Oz's advice to get a 125cc bike to practice on, 125's aren't even freeway legal in some states. It used to be standard new-bike-owner advice, but it depends greatly on the individual. Big bikes used to be heavy, but now you can buy 1000cc bikes that weigh under 400lbs wet, or roughly what a 500cc street bike wieghed 20 years ago. Bigger motors do produce easy to manage (and easy to kill yourself with!) torquey motors, that I find easier to ride. The trick is to treat it with the same respect that you would treat a loaded handgun. My first streetbike was a 1200cc, 125 hp sportbike (I HATE the term "crotch rocket") that was capable of mid 10 second 1/4 miles and had an indicated (yes I saw it, and no I don't think it was 100% accurate) top speed of around 162 mph. Although I had ridden dirtbikes since I was 7, it was my very first street bike and I survived it by treating it with respect, and by realizing that I could very well get killed on it. Another fact is that all street bikes are very fast compared to a car and even the small ones are deadly in the wrong hands. In the end, buy what turns you and your significant other on. Bikes are a very emotional purchase and will make you a more fun person to be around. There is nothing on this earth that I have found to be more relaxing than a leisurley ride with nowhere to go, all day to get there and your girlfriend/wife/whatever clinging to you and enjoying the ride.

Wow! These responses are a great help. Thanks.

I called a local bike dealer and asked them to recommend the best way to learn and they lead me to Connecticut’s D.O.T. Motorcycle Rider Course and their Ride4ever site. They supply the bikes and I supply the safety gear. I will be contacting them on Monday. Plus I can get my license directly through the course using their smaller bikes. The few riders I’ve spoken to at work tell me the riding test is much easier with a smaller bike.

The responses I’ve gotten from people are very interesting. Those who have never ridden think I’m crazy. Those who have or still ride instantly get the “I wish I was riding right now” sparkle in their eyes. How the riders in the group have learned is a 50/50 split between self-taught and training courses.

I think I understand the logic behind learning on a smaller bike (weight and maneuverability), but it’s hard to get excited about when what I think I really want is something more substantial and comfortable.

I told my girlfriend of this possibility and she is thrilled, :nice: though I have mixed emotions about her preference to ride without a helmet (which is legal in CT).

The helmet thing is a biggie, and I'd be a hypocrite if I told you I never rode without one. But if there is anyway possible to get her to wear one, do it. There are tiny helmets that protect the most important part of your head (the top and rear) and those would be better than nothing. Also an extended trip on the freeway will help change her mind, nothing like un-knotting long hair for the next week! Taking a bug in the eye really sucks and can leave you blind forever. But ultimatley the choice has to made by her, not for her. After hitting the ground in the dirt a few times, helmets are second nature for me and have saved my life more than once, but since it's not the law in your state, it's her choice and her life.

i would recomend that you take the motorcycle safety course, on the type of bike you plan on riding. if you find a harley sportster, use that bike in the course. that way you learn the bike from day one, and it makes it easier to get comfortable with the bike. if you take the course on a 350cc honda, a nice lightweight street bike, and buy a 1200 sportster, you will find the transition disconcerting at first. zookeeper gave alot of great advice on what to be aware of, and i will add you should look at a bike when the engine is cold. same reason as a car, in that most engine noises show up when cold as do starting and running problems. if you go look at a bike, and the engine is hot, dont believe the owner when he says someone else was looking at the bike before you showed up, unless the guy just got off the bike when you arrived.

Platonic Solid said:
Wow! These responses are a great help. Thanks.

I called a local bike dealer and asked them to recommend the best way to learn and they lead me to Connecticut’s D.O.T. Motorcycle Rider Course and their Ride4ever site. They supply the bikes and I supply the safety gear. I will be contacting them on Monday. Plus I can get my license directly through the course using their smaller bikes. The few riders I’ve spoken to at work tell me the riding test is much easier with a smaller bike.

The responses I’ve gotten from people are very interesting. Those who have never ridden think I’m crazy. Those who have or still ride instantly get the “I wish I was riding right now” sparkle in their eyes. How the riders in the group have learned is a 50/50 split between self-taught and training courses.

I think I understand the logic behind learning on a smaller bike (weight and maneuverability), but it’s hard to get excited about when what I think I really want is something more substantial and comfortable.

I told my girlfriend of this possibility and she is thrilled, :nice: though I have mixed emotions about her preference to ride without a helmet (which is legal in CT).

I didn't mean go out and buy one. If you had a friend that had one to loan you, it would be great. My longest trip to date was on a Suzuki 550 2 stroke highway bike. That thing weighed a ton. Went 900 miles in 22 hours. (Sitting on the handle of my fishing rod with the barrel of a shotgun sticking out of my back pack. I was going up a mountain pass and since the oil injectors were controlled by the throttle, it looked like I was on fire.

Ozsum67 said:
The point I was making was to learn on the size and weight of a bike that you are confident enough to handle. Bottom line.
You're 100% correct in making that point. I agree that anyone learning would be much better off with a small bike, however I also think (hope might be a better word) that Mr. Solid may be able to learn, given proper instruction and a lot of careful practice, to safely ride a bigger bike. How much bigger depends greatly on his level of maturity and his bank account. BTW, I mean that part about maturity with grave seriousness. There would be nothing worse than watching your passenger bleed to death in a ditch, 50 miles from a phone because you thought you had enough room to pass that slow moving vehicle. I love riding bikes and will own one again someday, but I pray that every new rider does exactly what Platonic Solid is doing and seek qualified help from a licensed instructor ( not the salesman selling you the thing!) and we'll all live to argue another day.