• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Thinking about losing the 4.10s and going w/ 4.30s

  • Thread starter Thread starter helty
  • Start date Start date Mar 26, 2006
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
First Prev 4 of 4

jasonh_86

I
May 20, 2005
1,156
2
48
Arkansas
Mar 27, 2006
#61
  • Mar 27, 2006
  • #61
I wondered if it was just me that had trouble keeping up with traffic without giving it some nice rpms
 

helty

some Ukrainian's enjoying a handjob via my credit
Mar 30, 2005
1,461
1
39
Baltimore, MD
Mar 27, 2006
#62
  • Mar 27, 2006
  • #62
hotmustang331 said:
BTW get some vids after the gears...I want to see that crap sideways off into the other lane of traffic from 1st-3rd
Click to expand...
ask and ye shall receive, oh leader of our club

Wont be for a while though, looks like my pending job may have fell through (havent heard back, my interview was 1 week ago ) but I'll have my tax return coming and maybe then I'll get around to it. I do a lot of planning if you havent noticed, hehe. Ive probably got over $3k in things I plan to do by the end of the year, but in reality I might get half of what I want done. We'll see.
 

hotmustang331

Active Member
Apr 29, 2004
2,967
3
48
Bastrop,TX
Mar 27, 2006
#63
  • Mar 27, 2006
  • #63
ahh, im not alone . I KNOW if I had an auto I could easily destroy traffic without anyone knowing I was trying.

But my problem is ONLY in 1st and a little in 2nd...once in 3rd I pull a few buss lengths on everyone with the same pressure applied to the pedal LOL.
 
B

big T

New Member
Feb 25, 2004
265
0
0
Hawaii, oahu
Mar 28, 2006
#64
  • Mar 28, 2006
  • #64
helty said:
Thanks svt, I'll keep doing some searches and if need be, start a new thread strictly about differentials.
Click to expand...
Honestly helty, if u r looking 4 every bit of performance for your car, get the 4:30's, but a switch from 4:10's may net u a .1 gain (1/4 mile) at best. Im not familiar with lockers so cant comment on them. I wish I had 4:30's and may switch to them in the near future. I know my next and final mods are heads/cams/headers/tune as I want to stay N/A.
 

helty

some Ukrainian's enjoying a handjob via my credit
Mar 30, 2005
1,461
1
39
Baltimore, MD
Mar 28, 2006
#65
  • Mar 28, 2006
  • #65
big T said:
Honestly helty, if u r looking 4 every bit of performance for your car, get the 4:30's, but a switch from 4:10's may net u a .1 gain (1/4 mile) at best. Im not familiar with lockers so cant comment on them. I wish I had 4:30's and may switch to them in the near future. I know my next and final mods are heads/cams/headers/tune as I want to stay N/A.
Click to expand...
thats what Im after too, N/A performance. I honestly dont mind the daily driving inconvniences that come with more radical preformance mods, or I wouldnt be considering the Locker at all, let alone the 4.30s.

But you make an excellent point, 4.30s wont be a huge difference for me. From the stock 3.27s to 4.10s I thought was a pretty moderate difference, but 4.10s to 4.30s, I dont think I'll notice much except on my time slips. Hey, even if it is only .1 off my ET, its still .1 off my ET
 

hotmustang331

Active Member
Apr 29, 2004
2,967
3
48
Bastrop,TX
Mar 28, 2006
#66
  • Mar 28, 2006
  • #66
That locker will be a little uncomphortable....you will most likely still get some tire barking around corners (every once in a while), and there will be alot of clunking as the locker unlocks/locks when you go around corners. You will feel it...not just hear it.

Although its the BEST thing for traction, and provides the same hook as a full/mini spool...maybe an electric locker or auborn/eaton posi would be a better route for you. (btw I have a mini spool in the 66...its not TOO bad. Especially since the DRs dont bark...but man you can feel it lol, definatly reduced the turning radious )
 

helty

some Ukrainian's enjoying a handjob via my credit
Mar 30, 2005
1,461
1
39
Baltimore, MD
Mar 28, 2006
#67
  • Mar 28, 2006
  • #67
im far from sold on the locker. Id really like to ride on an 8.8" equipped with a locker. Probably end up going with FRPP trac-lok, but I like keeping my options open. afterall, I cant afford to do this more than once
 

Pearl02

Member
Nov 27, 2004
496
0
16
Kansas City
Mar 28, 2006
#68
  • Mar 28, 2006
  • #68
hotmustang331 said:
ahh, im not alone . I KNOW if I had an auto I could easily destroy traffic without anyone knowing I was trying.

But my problem is ONLY in 1st and a little in 2nd...once in 3rd I pull a few buss lengths on everyone with the same pressure applied to the pedal LOL.
Click to expand...
Man, I know what you mean. With the gears it's either all or nothing. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving behind a slow moving car. I followed this guy for a couple of miles. I was going about 30mph in second gear(don't remember the rpm's) just about to shift into 3rd. I decided to pass this guy so I punched it while still in second gear. I broke the tires loose pretty damn easy. The car started to go sideways before the traction control caught up. My car wouldn't do that before I got the gears. I love these 3.73's. I did loose some gas milage. This is the perfect all around gear. Pearl02.
 
B

big T

New Member
Feb 25, 2004
265
0
0
Hawaii, oahu
Mar 28, 2006
#69
  • Mar 28, 2006
  • #69
helty said:
thats what Im after too, N/A performance. I honestly dont mind the daily driving inconvniences that come with more radical preformance mods, or I wouldnt be considering the Locker at all, let alone the 4.30s.

But you make an excellent point, 4.30s wont be a huge difference for me. From the stock 3.27s to 4.10s I thought was a pretty moderate difference, but 4.10s to 4.30s, I dont think I'll notice much except on my time slips. Hey, even if it is only .1 off my ET, its still .1 off my ET
Click to expand...
I agree big time. I was initially going with the :30's, but thought i would be doing a KB upgrade so I went with the :10's. I use the car for police work and thought boost will kill my engine in a short time. I personally think that a 11 sec N/A car is the s--t!...Thats where I want to get to without boost.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
First Prev 4 of 4
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
214
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
What's your tow rig?
  • LILCBRA
  • May 31, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
3
Views
241
Other Auto Tech May 31, 2026
LILCBRA
3
Eight inches is enough for me...
  • 351MooseStang
  • Nov 27, 2025
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
5
Views
681
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Mar 2, 2026
Bullitt347
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
343
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
Engine Stalls when downshifting/coasting
  • Scott_S
  • Nov 5, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
829
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 6, 2025
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?