This never happens - Good luck in junkyard

Delray Dude

Jul 7, 2010
I've been trying to figure out my fuel delivery problem in my '93 notch.

It was difficult to start in mornings and at lunch - I'd hear the pump run anywhere from the normal 2-3 seconds all the way up to over 2 mins before it would shut off. Cranking the motor at any point before then would yield a no start, but after that, ran fine.

Started with the basics

1. new fuel filter - no help - but needed it anyways

2. moved on then to a new pressure regulator and upped the injectors to 17 lb/hr (robbed from a 3.1 Ch*vy with 50k miles) helped some in running - but didn't solve the problem.

3. dropped the tank - replaced the original fuel pump - didn't solve the problem.

4. decided that it might be the computer. Needed one for a 2.3 with the 5 speed - code C1A1.

In the junkyard I found a '93 relatively complete - missing the transmission - but I saw the 3 pedals. the passenger side kick panel was still in place, removed it, computer was there - was a C1A1 and with what seems to be relatively new markings of "rebuilt" on it - I took the 15 dollar no warranty gamble and brought it home.

Plugged it in and the car came back to life. Even learned the idle within 10 minutes (old computer took days) and is responding to the new injectors much faster (i can see this because I have an Air/Fuel meter and it rocks back and forth much faster.

Autozone wanted like 135 bucks for a rebuilt computer and they had to have yours 1st. Guess luck was on my side this time.

Anyone ever try using an auto computer on the stick or vice versa?

• Sponsors (?)

Now on the Turbo computer which I have a little info. The Auto computer will work on the 5speed but the timing and boost is a little differant. Now the 5speed one will work on the Auto but the torque convertor will not lock up and 4th gear will not engage. Now have read can hack the computer and change things. But I don't know how. Unsure of all on a Non turbo one. Maurice

My '92 2.3L was originally an automatic and is now a 5-speed. I did not change the computer. The car drives fine. The only downside is when I hit the clutch with the cruise control on, the engine revs high so I make a point to turn off the cruise control before dropping down to 4th gear.

Plugged it in and the car came back to life. Even learned the idle within 10 minutes (old computer took days) and is responding to the new injectors much faster (i can see this because I have an Air/Fuel meter and it rocks back and forth much faster.

Is it not awesome when things go right?! Congrats on your find and fixing your issues.:nice: