thread reducers on head, how to get them out??

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
Im callin them thread reducers, they help to bolt alternator and rod used for power steering pump into fronot head. How do i get these from my old heads or do they come out??

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm...well I couldn't get my stock ones out...they were seized in there pretty good...basically rusted...I tried putting a flathead screwdriver at an angle on the "cuts" in the thermactor plug (thread reducer) and tapping it but it just chipped away at the plug...

The thermactor plugs which "plug" up the hole where the smog equipment goes (the same thing works for the front of you heads for the alt. bolt and powersteering stud...you can get them at a Ford Dealership - part # F4ZZ-6E086-A or you can buy some from Summitracing - part # TFS-51400265...when you put them in the front of your heads your alternator bolt and power steering stud will screw right in perfectly...when I first seen they were to big doing my h/c/i swap...I thought I put the heads on backwards :rolleyes:

I believe the ones from Summit are $3 bucks a piece and the Ford price can vary from the $3-10 bucks a piece...depends on who and where you go...I would get them from Summit if you can wait a couple days for the shipping...

You got new heads or something that your putting them on? Good Luck...maybe you can get them out... :nice:

i just torqued a bolt down as tight as i could, and it came out with the bolt. then i put the bolt in a vice and turned the insert off. can be risky to the threads, but if your desperate it may work for you also.

the ford dealership wanted $14, i went there 30 minutes later and then they said "oh i guess we dont have it". :notnice: $14 for a damn little insert then they lie about stocking it, and it would have taken 7-10 business days to order it. rediculous