Throwout Bearing Issues!!!

Ok so I have a ram stock replacement clutch with about 20,000 miles on it. The clutch seems to be ok even though I want to get a beefier one soon since I race it at the track quite a bit but, my problem is the throwout bearing.... I am on my 3rd throwout bearing already and its starting to make the chirping noise again???? Is there anything I need to replace other than the bearing to fix this problem? I don't ride the clutch at all and never rest my foot on the clutch while crusing, I am at a loss on what to do and this replacing the bearing so often is gettin old fast!!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

How do you adjust your clutches? I would go with a zero lash cable setting (having the face of the TOB just kiss the diaphram fingers). This neither preloads the TOB appreciably, nor allows the TOB to have longitudinal slack and dance around on the input shaft retainer.

Good luck.

How bad is it to replace the TOB. I just replaced my clutch and all and mine is starting to chirp but I dont beat on it much. I could just remove my gear box stick my hand in there and replace it right? Or since its just a chirp that happens every now and then should I just let it be? I do plan on putting a lot of miles on it in an upcoming weekend so This is a great concern. Thanks and sorry for the thread jacking.

I do have a steeda adjustable clutch quadrant on the car maybe I have that set super wrong, thanks for the help. should I replace anything other than just the bearing like I dunno the retainer?

You should have a FWA or adjustable cable, which make for easy cable adjustments. If it stops chirping when you start to push the clutch pedal down (depress the pedal), there's a good chance the cable has slack. I'd take the slack out and see if the TOB shuts up.

If the TOB makes noise at all times or especially when the clutch pedal is depressed, I'd be getting ready to swap parts now. If you have a cobra trans, you should have a steel bearing retainer (GT's have aluminum, which is much more prone to galling or breakage). I'd still get a spare retainer and swap it if needed (they are 40 bucks and good to have around).

BTW, think of the bearing retainer as what the TOB rides on. Just like when you're a kid and slide down a bannister, if it's all chewed up, you don't slide down smooth. WIth a bearing, it causes loading and noise.

Good luck.

How bad is it to replace the TOB. I just replaced my clutch and all and mine is starting to chirp but I dont beat on it much. I could just remove my gear box stick my hand in there and replace it right? Or since its just a chirp that happens every now and then should I just let it be? I do plan on putting a lot of miles on it in an upcoming weekend so This is a great concern. Thanks and sorry for the thread jacking.

How did you replace the clutch and not replace the TOB? Did the kit not come with one?
Tell more about when it is exactly that it chirps. Do you recall how the TOB retainer looked?

Good luck.

i'm definately with JT on this one--you really should run a firewall adjuster w/ an aftermarket clutch quadrant. worked wonders for me, especially w/ the new clutch and 3550.

the only other clutch cable i would run, aside from the stocker, is MaximumMotorsport's OEM replacement. best part--it's only $60 (compared to $160+ from 50resto, Ford, etc).

what brand of bearing is in there? i had problems with a couple tob's squeeking until i swapped in my last clutch and used a centerforce heavy duty bearing. no noise so far (knock on wood)

How did you replace the clutch and not replace the TOB? Did the kit not come with one?
Tell more about when it is exactly that it chirps. Do you recall how the TOB retainer looked?

Good luck.

Lol, I did replace the throw out bearing. The kit brought a brand new one and well I have a fwa and i have it adjusted for some slack on the cable because I heard thats what should be done. When i do just touch the peddle it goes away but let go completly it has a chirp every now and then.

I just bought my '95 GT and I think the clutch and TOB are the originals. Mine is chirping, and goes away right as I push the clutch pedal. My clutch feels fine, is there any adjusting that can be done with the stock cable and TOB? I too am sorry to hijack, just curious on what can be done...

Lol, I did replace the throw out bearing. The kit brought a brand new one and well I have a fwa and i have it adjusted for some slack on the cable because I heard thats what should be done. When i do just touch the peddle it goes away but let go completly it has a chirp every now and then.

Ok cool. I didn't want to be too rude before but I wasn't sure if you reused an old TOB or what was going on. :rlaugh: You did it right though.

Cable clutches are meant to have a zero lash adjustment. This is what you are doing when you lightly press the pedal to make the noise go away.

Good luck.

Definetely change the stock aluminum throw out bearing retainer. Mine was doing the exact same thing as you describe and i upgraded to the steel retainer and it solved all problem. Late model restoration has them as well as a few other places